Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
s500
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be posting pics soon,the only problem i have with the car is the steering wheel does not move up and down but sometimes it moves for a second and then stops also the funny thing is sometimes when i move the steering wheel switch the rear view mirror will start moving to the left? Is this a electrical problem

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,149 Posts
Sounds like the seat position memory unit may be going bad. It ties in to the seats, steering wheel, side mirrors, and in some models the rear view mirror as well.

·
Registered
08 ml320 cdi,slk 230,01 boxster S,04carrera911,67 GT350mustang,02G500L,96 s600 w140, w210 e55t 2001
1,711 Posts
Check that then post results after pls. Tnx

·
Registered
1998 S420
305 Posts
I have a 1997 S420 and had the exact same problem. I would press the button for the steering wheel and it would groan, barely move, and then stop. I also noticed that sometimes the mirrors would also move for the length of time I held down the steering wheel button. The problem was faulty wiring in the right passenger outside mirror. The wiring had frayed and became one solid mess/mass. Replaced the mirror and all is perfect now.

I am sure you should check the wiring first before you replace!

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
My '97 S320 (bought in May 2010) has frayed wires in the driver mirror. Just noticed this weekend, because I need to replace the poor glass, so I needed to determine if it had auto-dimming. Connectors are way different between the two, as well as price, ~$300 vs $85. Peachparts ($333) and Partsgeek ($231.94) show the picture with the yellowish square on the back, and have the text "Not for models with auto-dimming", but for that cost it better be! AllpartsExpress shows the real non-dimming version, for $85 - there's only a 2-pin connector, for heater I guess, so it's apparent this would not function in a housing that had the auto-dimming feature.

I see my left one is like the pictures with that connector w/wires. The right one only has the 2-pin connector. The wires on the mirror-side of the connection are ok. It's the ones in the housing that end with a connector that plugs into the mirror's connector, those are very bare. I'll take it all apart some weekend and see if I can rewire it. That needs to be fixed before I attach a $300 mirror glass to it! And hopefully less than $300.

So far, though, no weird symptoms.

Point is, as some have said, even though you may have the model year with the good engine wiring harness, these mirror housing wires can still be quite bad even in later year models.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts