Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SL600
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ah damn i actually mounted those tires myself, i must've not been paying attention. However those tread patterns would only matter if driven in the rain no? It help treads water away, this car doesn't see rain so i don't think it would be too much of an issue, just thinking about dismounting the 20s and putting them back on make me cringe. Our machine at work is crappy, it's horrible to mount these thin profile tires.

·
Registered
SL600 2004
28 Posts
You're doing this at home?
No, that's definitely the thing they usually mention as "do not try these ar home" :)
A friend of mine has a repair shop and he will be doing it. He will charge me for the labor, but that's nothing compared to your US prices (lucky me). But I need to give him direct instructions as to what to do and what to replace. So basically i need part numbers to buy as much parts as possible in advance as i don't want my car to occupy one of his lifts and block his usual work for longer than it's needed. Especially as some parts may be hard to find and can have long delivery terms.

·
Registered
Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
396 Posts
...However those tread patterns would only matter if driven in the rain no? It help treads water away...
That's correct, they won't make any difference in dry conditions, but in the rain, it can be the difference between getting good grip or hydroplaning.

If you only plan on using this on nice dry days, you're OK. I only noticed it becuase your tires have such aggressive threads and in that photo from the back of the car they look really obvious.

BTW, What tire is that? I have P Zeros on mine, and they are nowhere near like yours.

·
Registered
2005 SL600
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
That's correct, they won't make any difference in dry conditions, but in the rain, it can be the difference between getting good grip or hydroplaning.

If you only plan on using this on nice dry days, you're OK. I only noticed it becuase your tires have such aggressive threads and in that photo from the back of the car they look really obvious.

BTW, What tire is that? I have P Zeros on mine, and they are nowhere near like yours.
I'm running 305/25/20 Toyo Proxes T1S, they grip fine above 60 degrees, any colder than that, you're driving on cinder blocks. In the morning when it's cold, it's rock hard until they warm up. This car doesn't see rain, i have a Land Cruiser for inclement weather, but now that you mentioned it, i keep staring at my tires when i walk up to it. :( i'll swap it over the next time i have some free time at work.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts