Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SL600
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were only 2 for sale in the entire nation, searched from craig's list to cargurus to eBay...only 2 results, one happen to be 5 miles from me the other is in California 3000 miles away. Loving it so far, it's absurdly fast and drives like a dream, interior and exterior look like it came off the showroom floor, nothing is leaking, yet, tons of records from stuff that was replaced for maintenance. I picked up a unicorn for sure :)

Here are some pics, it was bone stock, all the mods were done by me over the last 2 weeks of ownership.

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
681 Posts
Congrats, beautiful car, the SL600s are amazing cars. Fast as a Hellcat for a lot less money yet when new probably about $130,000 !!!! Mine never even goes out in the rain, I have a mercedes SUV for that, and other Mercedes for other days, and when i want to be just as classy but drive a little slower i drive my Maserati.

·
Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
690 Posts
Wow! Nice find! I stumbled across my 2005 SL65 AMG before I knew anything about MBs. Turns out it was a needle in a haystack. Been looking for another one since just to have his and hers lol. I prefer the stock look but yours looks very nice!

·
Registered
2005 SL600
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! A lot of people don't even know what this car is, until they see the V12 on the side of the car. At gas stations people usually come up and ask me if they crammed a V12 in that little thing, to which i respond, yes they did, and there's no room to really fix it if something goes wrong lol.

Wheels/Tires specs

Vertini RF 1.3
20x9 F 265/30/20 Toyo T1S
20x11 R 305/25/20 Toyo T1S
Lowered 1.25" all around
Front lip is Sarona
Rear spoiler is no brand, just saw it looks aggressive.

rear diffuser on the way, as well as a tune.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The grille looks aftermarket too.

If you don’t have SDS, GET ONE!! Unless you are very very wealthy and money is no issue :) It will save you thousands!

Mine spends a good bit of time on the lift, but I look for things to work on as it a pleasure for me. I was lucky mine had the majority of known common V12/ABC issues addressed before I bought it. The sticker was $187,000. God bless the crazy people who buy these new so I can afford one after the ridiculous depreciation lol!

·
Registered
2005 SL600
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The grille looks aftermarket too.

If you don’t have SDS, GET ONE!! Unless you are very very wealthy and money is no issue :) It will save you thousands!

Mine spends a good bit of time on the lift, but I look for things to work on as it a pleasure for me. I was lucky mine had the majority of known common V12/ABC issues addressed before I bought it. The sticker was $187,000. God bless the crazy people who buy these new so I can afford one after the ridiculous depreciation lol!
The grill is stock, it has Distronic so the MB star is ginormous. I know what you mean about depreciation, only way average people like us can afford them. I actually have 2 of these V12s, and is a mechanic so i have my Matco scanner which does everything SDS can do. If you can't wrench, there's no reason for you to own a V12 SL, stick to the 500 or 55, they're easier to work on. The only thing that's really expensive to fix on these vehicles are the ABC related stuff, engine mounts, and coilpacks. The drivetrain is bulletproof and can go to at least 200K miles. On the pre-2007 models, the main ABC high pressure line to goes from the pump to the valveblock, that is the most ridiculous design ever and require a lot of work to replace. After 2007, it's a straight shot, it doesn't snake under the hot engine and around the bellhousing anymore.

Here's my other 2005 SL600

·
Registered
5 Posts
Beautiful auto..ran across post while looking in forums for fix on dim instrument cluster light on my,2003 sl500 Designo edition I bought a couple months ago for $6.500..77k miles, spotless...one 1/4 inch ding on driver's door..fixed a few seat switch issues now everything works but does have a fairly new vvk suspension with sway bars...only issue to fix is pealing paint on the 245 and 285 18 inch original wheels...love the looks and upgrading on your car.great find..I live on a budget but am already looking for a amg older model in the future.. thanks for sharing pics..nice.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The grill is stock, it has Distronic so the MB star is ginormous. I know what you mean about depreciation, only way average people like us can afford them. I actually have 2 of these V12s, and is a mechanic so i have my Matco scanner which does everything SDS can do. If you can't wrench, there's no reason for you to own a V12 SL, stick to the 500 or 55, they're easier to work on. The only thing that's really expensive to fix on these vehicles are the ABC related stuff, engine mounts, and coilpacks. The drivetrain is bulletproof and can go to at least 200K miles. On the pre-2007 models, the main ABC high pressure line to goes from the pump to the valveblock, that is the most ridiculous design ever and require a lot of work to replace. After 2007, it's a straight shot, it doesn't snake under the hot engine and around the bellhousing anymore.

Here's my other 2005 SL600

Whew! Tell me about the high pressure hose! I recently did the one from the pump that has the double banjo fitting and the hose to nowhere. I’m thinking it failed partly due to age and a failed accumulator and damper. My thinking is it was working harder than designed to absorb the fluctuations in pressure pulses. Even though the hose to nowhere is a sort of damper, it was simply working overtime.

Interesting about the grille. I thought that was a later design.

·
Registered
2005 SL600
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whew! Tell me about the high pressure hose! I recently did the one from the pump that has the double banjo fitting and the hose to nowhere. I’m thinking it failed partly due to age and a failed accumulator and damper. My thinking is it was working harder than designed to absorb the fluctuations in pressure pulses. Even though the hose to nowhere is a sort of damper, it was simply working overtime.

Interesting about the grille. I thought that was a later design.

Ah that stupid hose burst on me too, my trick to removing that was i removed the radiator as well, since i was overhauling everything, remove the pump's pulley and you can stick a ratchet in there to spin it back in. It's IMPOSSIBLE to spin the bolt in by hand, i had to find a way to put a powered ratchet on it, and i finally got the thread to catch. It took a long time. I think i almost cried doing that.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Mine did not burst. I just noticed some light weeping and decided I would catch it before it did.

are the hood and headlights stock as well? I’m almost certain it did not come with that in 2005.

·
Registered
SL600 2004
28 Posts
Congratulations, very nice looking car.

Which hose you're talking about? I plan to do the engine mounts in winter time, so probably it's a nice opportunity to deal with the hoses.

·
Registered
2005 SL600
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congratulations, very nice looking car.

Which hose you're talking about? I plan to do the engine mounts in winter time, so probably it's a nice opportunity to deal with the hoses.
If you're going to pull the motor and do the engine mounts, you should also do the rear main seal, turbo water inlet seals, or whatever else you can get to while having the engine out. Absolutely replace the the ABC line that is wrapped in reflective tape that snakes under the engine and above the bell housing. That one is under a lot of stress and heat and is prone to bursting. You're doing this at home?

·
Registered
Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
396 Posts
I was admiring your new ride, but noticed the tires are installed wrong. You appear to have uni-directional rotation tires, and from the 2nd and 3rd photos, it appears the front driver side and rear passenger side are installed backwards. Can't see the front right, but you might want to check that as well. The rear driver side is installed correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was admiring your new ride, but noticed the tires are installed wrong. You appear to have uni-directional rotation tires, and from the 2nd and 3rd photos, it appears the front driver side and rear passenger side are installed backwards. Can't see the front right, but you might want to check that as well. The rear driver side is installed correctly.
..I was admiring the pics of the car and blowing them up to look, and my eyes did focus on the tires longer for some reason..but did not pick up on the tread...nice spotting on your part,.this is why I have been reading these forms for over a year and just joined since I bought my 2003sl500 Designo edition... Great pic up on your part and great info here for a diy,er on these forums.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this isn't the right forum but I am trying to find out the best way to remove the paint or powder coat from my chipping 18 in. Original Designo edition wheels.. stripper or bead blasting...just asking since I see you have owned older models and may have dealt with this issue, Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts