Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice car, white with gray interior. I got it for a song. It belonged to a fellow who could no longer drive it and it would not start. Issue seems like a fuel issue although the battery was quite dead when i got it so it would not fire.

I suspect that it's a fuel pressure problem or a fuel pump relay. This one is different to my 560SEL in that it has a big box with a dial that runs from 1 to 0 and says MAS.

Any one know what the deal is with this?

·
Registered
1966 200 Diesel; 1985 500 SEL (wrecked); 1991 420 SEL; 1979 280E (Home Market); 1993 190E 2.6
584 Posts
Al, congrats on the latest addition. I am confident that whatever is keeping it from running you will figure it out shortly.

I am going out on a limb based on your description of the dial with the 1 and 0 on it and am gonna say its the locking mechnism that holds the MAS fuel module locked in place. I beleive if you put it on '0' its unlocked and can be removed from the vehicle.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,732 Posts
Around 1990 the fuel pump relay and a number of other function were combined in MAS.
Its usually located behind the battery towards the firewall. Turn the top knob all the way left to pull up and remove. The M103 2.6 (pic) and 3.0 look identical but have different numbers.

Alabbasi, the FAQ on top of the W201 forum has a link to the free to download M103 manual.
Even though its for the 2.6, it is almost identical.
Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1972 280CE
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i'll update you on the progress. As I already have a 560SEC and a 560SEL, my goal is to fix this up and sell it. It's a very clean car and I would have considered keeping it and selling my 560SEL, but i've recently spent large amounts of money on my 560SEL doing work that includes.

Replacing A/C compressor, hose, drier and condenser.
Replacing, ball joints, carrier bearing, center support and both flex disks and most recently the water pump and mono valve.

It now drives like a dream so there is no sense in letting it go.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts