Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

just picked up a 190D turbo...yeah

954 Views 5 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  texnteg
well, my neighbor was selling a very nice 1989 190 turbodiesel with a 5-speed manual. it is black with a tan interior. he fitted the evo I kit and wheels on it. it has about 360000 kilometers on it. but is in beautiful shape. always serviced by ken garff mercedes and always garaged. the suspension is sound, bushings are in nice shape. clutch is relatively new. turbo is in great shape. interior is the merc-tex material. holding up very nicely. the wood trim needs some work...no biggie. has a set of euro headlights, never put on. the non-painted part of the bumper is fading a little...again, no biggie. i am excited to finally own a diesel benz. i guess the integra is going to be demoted to winter beater. oh well. i'm gonna keep my new baby at my parents house during winter(50 miles from university). don't want any dings on it either. plus, my dad likes it too so he split the price with me. it was in the range of $6k. seemed like a good price for the car, i honestly didn't research prices too much. i know well enough about 190 diesels, my best friend has an 87 non-turbo. it is running perfectly and he does much of the work himself.
i would like to know if there are any suspension mods available. i would like to get rid of some of the body roll. otherwise, i am excited to have a nice sporty cruiser.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
Curious, where did he find an EVO I kit, as opposed to the EVO II? The 2.5L TD had 126 ...

Curious, where did he find an EVO I kit, as opposed to the EVO II? The 2.5L TD had 126 HP, about the same as the 2.3L 8 valve gas engine and is one of the rarest of the production W201s.

· Registered
2002 E320W4
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he bought the kit second hand about 5 years ago. it doesn't ...

he bought the kit second hand about 5 years ago. it doesn't have the spoiler though...suits me fine. he had sanded and had repainted it to match the car quite nicely, it was previously red.
i've read that the turbodiesel is very rare and thats why i jumped on the chance when he said he was considering selling the car. seems it would be even more rare with the manual.
he is also selling his E320 and getting a new E-class diesel.
i had to work out a deal with my dad because i didn't have the cash and didn't want to completely deplete my savings. what would you say the price should have been? is 6 grand a steal? i do know that i am excited.

· Registered
2002 E320W4
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't have any pics...don't have a digi camera.but, i found a few of the EvoI kit on...

i don't have any pics...don't have a digi camera.
but, i found a few of the EvoI kit on this site...
is this more rare then the EvoII? i don't really care for that one as much.

that would be it, but mine is black and has no spoiler. when i see him this weekend, i will ask him how he found the kit. he lived in austria for a few years and travels a bit. he does alot of consulting for an architecture firm. you'll find a wide variety of vehicles in park city. hell, i never knew there was a 2-door G-wagon with canvas tops.

· Registered
2002 E320W4
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i would like to know what the guys reserve is. looks like it could use some mainte...

yeah, i would like to know what the guys reserve is. looks like it could use some maintenance. but, for its age...it is in excellent condition. had some fun with the 190 tonite in the snow...hehehe
i need to get a new block heater though. seems it is not keeping heat very well. i don't want to crack the block. i know diesels are not cold-weather friendly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.