Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
'03 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... down at South Bay MB in Torrance, CA, and drove it back up north to my house in the pouring rain. This is my first mercedes, which I suppose qualifies me for the "starting off with a bang" title for the day :) I snapped a picture this morning in between rain squalls, which I've attached below.

I'm still in the 1000 mile break-in period for the car, but my impressions so far: Big & spacious, smoooooth, quiet, very comfortable to drive for 6 hours straight, good brakes, incredible part-throttle torque. I'm looking forward to finishing the break-in period and getting out to the track to see what this beast is actually making for power.

Anyone on the board had experiences so far with the RENNtech performance upgrades for the TT V12s? I'm quite interested in their ECU+filters package, but I'd like a concurring opinion on that product, or on RENNtech products in general for the AMG benz's?

Attachments

·
Registered
S600 Sport
19 Posts
Nice Pic. Congrats on your new car and welcome to the family!

Nice Pic. Congrats on your new car and welcome to the family!

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
LOVE your Car!

In My Humble opinion, Since MB put a biturbo engine in your car which can bring it to 60 in around 4.6 seconds, i dont think you need to upgrade or modify anything. HOw does the engine sound when you rev it? I know it roars in my S500 but i can only imagine yours must howl like mad.

LEt me know :)
B

·
Registered
'03 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: LOVE your Car!

In My Humble opinion, Since MB put a biturbo engine in your car which can bring it to 60 in around 4.6 seconds, i dont think you need to upgrade or modify anything.
Heh. Let me put it this way... other than my wife's RX300, the S600 is the slowest car in our household. We also have a 520HP Viper SRT-10 and a 1200HP supercharged Viper RT/10 :D So I'm a bit abnormal in my perspective on how fast is "fast enough"...

HOw does the engine sound when you rev it? I know it roars in my S500 but i can only imagine yours must howl like mad.
LEt me know :)
B
Actually, it's pretty quiet. The turbochargers muffle the sound fairly effectively, and the stock exhaust does the rest. I haven't revved it all the way up yet (only 700 miles) but it has a nice purr.

·
Registered
2003 G500
59 Posts
Turbo's

Am I understanding this right? You guys are saying that factory S600 has turbos or chargers? I think I'm hearing this wrong.
[B)]

·
Registered
'03 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Turbo's

Am I understanding this right? You guys are saying that factory S600 has turbos or chargers? I think I'm hearing this wrong.
[B)]
That is correct. Starting with the '03 model year, the S600 and CL600 both come with a mildly detuned version of the Maybach engine. 5.5L V12, twin-turbo, air-to-water intercooler. Factory rating 493 BHP / 590 TQ, but actual output (according to RENNtech) around 520 HP / 620 TQ.

It's the ultimate stealth car :D

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Since you seem to like power, and money does not seem to be your biggest concern [;)] mayb...

Since you seem to like power, and money does not seem to be your biggest concern [;)] maybe you should consider Brabus. They tune the twin-turbo V12 to 640 hp / 1040 Nm (at least that's the specs when they shoe-horn the V12 into the W211 E-class). Then you will also probably be quicker than the upcoming S65AMG (612hp / 1000Nm).

Other vice I would leave the car stock, apart from a discrete rear window tinting (no limo-style, max 35%).

·
Registered
C240 6-speed
16 Posts
RENNtech for S600

I take it from your posts you have talked to Hartmut at RENNtech. They really have the goods when it comes to getting more power from an already powerful Benz. I know they are doing a lot of R&D on the new S600 right now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had something up their sleeve to help it compete with your Vipers.

If you want any specific info, you can post here and I can contact you off the forum. I am a RENNtech dealer, so let me know if you would like to pursue this avenue and if I can be of assistance.

·
Registered
2007 S550 Sport
911 Posts
HI Again,

If i were to tune a mercedes, I think it would be done by BRABUS. IM not a...

HI Again,

If i were to tune a mercedes, I think it would be done by BRABUS. IM not a fan of the way Rentech cars come out. They have lots of power but they start looking like Race cars, and that takes away from the beauty and sculpture of the car itself. Brabus does all the awsome modifications to the engine/brakes/suspension etc...... and does MINOR detailing to the car itself. I believe the wheels are special lightweights, and maybe do a tiny bit to the front bumper. But honestly, check with Brabus because their engine upgrades are awsome. Keep in mind ............... Check with your dealership because I do believe engine or body work voids warranty.................. OUCH!!!!!!!

Regards
B :) (Bradley)

·
Registered
'03 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With breakin now complete, I took my S600 to Sacto dragstrip today for a few baseline pass...

With breakin now complete, I took my S600 to Sacto dragstrip today for a few baseline passes before I start modding it. Here's one of the videos, of my second run of the day.

http://www.treynor.com/S600_Stock_Sacto.wmv

There's a great one I'll get later of me racing (and beating) a supercharged C5 Corvette :D

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Not bad for a stock Mercedes!Who would have thought 20 years ago that Mercedes would hav...

Not bad for a stock Mercedes!
Who would have thought 20 years ago that Mercedes would have a stock sedan that runs 12.45 1/4 mile?

For us deadly folkes, there are cheaper ways though to get our kicks. I ran 9.96 / 141mph with my 5000$ 1986 Suzuki GSXR1100 (street legal but tuned to 160 hp on the wheel + lowered and 2" longer swing arm).

Keep us updated with the mods!
Do you have any times for your 1200hp Viper? Is it street legal? Pictures please!

·
Registered
C 230 Sport
184 Posts
Hey man you got any pics of the Vipers? My friend just picked up a silver SRT 10....

Hey man you got any pics of the Vipers? My friend just picked up a silver SRT 10.

·
Registered
'03 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Hey man you got any pics of the Vipers? My friend just picked up a silver SRT 10....

Hey man you got any pics of the Vipers? My friend just picked up a silver SRT 10.
Oh, just one or two [:D]

My car:

My wife's car (with wife):

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Your wife seems to have a problem to operate the clutch...[;)]...

Your wife seems to have a problem to operate the clutch...[;)]

·
Registered
s500- 300td
92 Posts
A benz or nothing else

I can not believe that you can compare a dodge to a benz. It does not matter if it a viper 15000 hp. You do not buy an s class for speed , it is about luxury. Save your money and buy yourself a m300, if all you care about is speed

·
Registered
'03 S600
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
> You do not buy an s class for speed

Speak for yourself. I certainly bought mine in...

> You do not buy an s class for speed

Speak for yourself. I certainly bought mine in large part for speed.

·
Registered
s500- 300td
92 Posts
speaking for my self

If you want speed and performance go with bmw. This s500 is the fifth mbnz that I own. I have a 92 s500, 88 s420, 2 300td, . I bought these cars for one thing the drive. I think you might be happier with an m5 or soon coming out m7.

·
Registered
s500- 300td
92 Posts
Nothing rides like a benz

Bmw are great cars.

Nothing makes a statement like a Benz. I still feel safe in my 82 benz.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts