Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sedan, 1992 400e sedan
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just ordered my Pewter Silver c320 with auto tranny, C2, C4, heated seats, teleaid, comand system, drivers multicontour seat, nav cd collection, AMG wheels. Should have it Dec. [:)]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Did you order...

i just ordered my Pewter Silver c320 with auto tranny, C2, C4, heated seats, teleaid, comand system, drivers multicontour seat, nav cd collection, AMG wheels. Should have it Dec. [:)]
4-matic? Or not? Looks like you've loaded it all on [:)] Congrats! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2003 C320 Sedan, 1992 400e sedan
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope

Did not order the 4 matic. Dealer said I can order it but it was totalling around 47 grand. It's almost c32 league so I dumped it. It doesn't snow much here anyway.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
4-matic is...

Did not order the 4 matic. Dealer said I can order it but it was totalling around 47 grand. It's almost c32 league so I dumped it. It doesn't snow much here anyway.
$1800 extra, I think. Not that much at all considering that it is the price of a couple of sets of winter tires/wheels. [:)]

Since the system is permanent, it helps at all times, not just when it snows. See this:
http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/tractionturn2.html

·
Registered
C240 Sport
10 Posts
The 4matic adds a lot of weight to the car...I think around 300 lbs. Which will affect you...

The 4matic adds a lot of weight to the car...I think around 300 lbs. Which will affect your performance. I once read that the added weight of AWD systems without snow tires causes longer stopping distances in rain and snow as compared to similarly equipped FWD/RWD setups with snows!

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Well, they're different vehicles...

I can get a ML320 for the same price. Doesn't seem right. Still not sure which way I'm going to go.
The C-class is definitely more fun to drive than the ML (if you can imagine that, LOL), even more nimble. It rides softer too (far more refined than a Camry), but yet is firm enough to be sporty.

I was in the same position that you were in, trying to decide between another ML(500) and the C-class. However, after spending a great deal of time in a C-class for an upcoming writeup, I had absolutely no doubts after. It really depends on your priorities.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Nope, it's not that heavy...

The 4matic adds a lot of weight to the car...I think around 300 lbs. Which will affect your performance. I once read that the added weight of AWD systems without snow tires causes longer stopping distances in rain and snow as compared to similarly equipped FWD/RWD setups with snows!
The system is only about 150lbs, if not less, therefore it's like having one extra person onboard. Even the M-class' permanent 4WD system with low range gearing doesn't weigh 300 lbs.

Because the C-class' 4-matic system is not very heavy, acceleration will only be very marginally affected. Additionally, the added traction means that at wide open throttle from a standstill, you will be able to get a better launch (and hence potentially better 0-60 times) because of almost zero wheelspin.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Oh as a replacement...

That's the problem. I have a ML and a C Coupe, plus a lot of miles on the autobahn in the C Sedan (see my other posts). I agree, the C is a lot of fun to drive and they are very different. Since I just got the coupe and the ML is four years old, the ML is up for replacement. The original plan was to keep the ML forever, especially since they dropped the skyview top, which we love. But, so many improvements have been made that the ML feels like an antique compared to the C.
In that case, you'd better not get rid of the ML [:0][:(!][:D]

Perhaps trade it in for a '02 model? The funny thing with my ML is that with all of the modifications that I've done in the last few months, it really feels like a new vehicle and not one which is 2 years and 10 months old!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts