Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

so i just ordered these wheels in 24's, with 275/25/24 pirelli to go along with them, now i need help with lowering, i dont know where to start off
should i buy ebiachs or cut the springs plz helpp

·
Registered
421 Posts
Buy Eibachs or similar...Do not cut springs.

Wow man...a 24 series tire is going to require a LOW drop to make it look right.

Let us know what you come up with and PICS!

·
Registered
299 Posts
That should look pretty sharp once they're mounted and the truck is lowered. As for lowering, Eibach is the lowest drop for parts readily available (tirerack) and while I never measured my before and after, my ML55 was noticeably lower with the Eibachs. I still have a noticeable fender gap though. Obviously, you'll have less fender gap than mine since your wheel/tire package has a larger overall diameter than my 22" set-up.

I say go for the Eibachs and if you're still unhappy with the look, cut a minimal amount of coils off to try and preserve as much shock travel as possible.

+ post pics afterwards.

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
Now, I know this is a matter of opinion, but why would you want to stuff a ugly 24" chrome rim on a ML? Before you crucify me, follow my logic: the ML (163) is an already high SUV, you got the wheels before thinking about lowering, and the rims really don't look that nice (I know a lot of us here think this but wouldn't tell you, but, hey...you sort of asked by posting, right!!!!).

Anyway, if you really want to stay with the 24s, you will need more than Eibach to lower the thing to actually work. Remember, lowering via springs is painful if you don't match the shock's safe travel. You'll have to do some custom work on this to have it done correctly. The Eibach or H&R with B'stein combo will work, but it wouldn't be right - you'll break things before you know it, especially if your driveway looks anything like the streets in NY or DC!!!! I wouldn't do it!!!! You're going +7 here and the truck is not designed for that, and most shops will tell you to not do that kind of upgrade. A +3 (20") is probably the limit. What's your goal anyway???

·
Registered
456 Posts
obviously the car will be driven down a dark back alley and meet people through his rolled down pitch black tinted windows. 8 out of 10 ML's i think are family cars or true utility cars meant for a specific purpose other than looking nice. Throwing this type of wheel can only mean one thing, trying to be in the league with those Escalades and Denali's. I won't be surprised if the car will need a two tone or three tone paint job after the wheels were done.

no offense intended but as just another board member trying to shed some light on another poster that's looking for advise, my suggestion is not to do it. It is more dangerous and has absolutely no advantage whatsoever. Putting 24 inch wheels on an ML is like putting gold 13 inch daytons on an S-class. It just wasn't meant to be.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Now, I know this is a matter of opinion, but why would you want to stuff a ugly 24" chrome rim on a ML? Before you crucify me, follow my logic: the ML (163) is an already high SUV, you got the wheels before thinking about lowering, and the rims really don't look that nice (I know a lot of us here think this but wouldn't tell you, but, hey...you sort of asked by posting, right!!!!).

Anyway, if you really want to stay with the 24s, you will need more than Eibach to lower the thing to actually work. Remember, lowering via springs is painful if you don't match the shock's safe travel. You'll have to do some custom work on this to have it done correctly. The Eibach or H&R with B'stein combo will work, but it wouldn't be right - you'll break things before you know it, especially if your driveway looks anything like the streets in NY or DC!!!! I wouldn't do it!!!! You're going +7 here and the truck is not designed for that, and most shops will tell you to not do that kind of upgrade. A +3 (20") is probably the limit. What's your goal anyway???
obviously the car will be driven down a dark back alley and meet people through his rolled down pitch black tinted windows. 8 out of 10 ML's i think are family cars or true utility cars meant for a specific purpose other than looking nice. Throwing this type of wheel can only mean one thing, trying to be in the league with those Escalades and Denali's. I won't be surprised if the car will need a two tone or three tone paint job after the wheels were done.

no offense intended but as just another board member trying to shed some light on another poster that's looking for advise, my suggestion is not to do it. It is more dangerous and has absolutely no advantage whatsoever. Putting 24 inch wheels on an ML is like putting gold 13 inch daytons on an S-class. It just wasn't meant to be.
you guys are brutal but brave enough to say your opinion bearing in mind it is his ride and he can do what he wants maybe irneet should look at this thread for pointers or maybe this created by Detane might interest irneet

·
Registered
41 Posts
He asked for help with lowering......nothing else!!!

Darkmann you probebly like wearing spandex pants and thong`s!
I think it`s f%&#kup but you dont ask me for my opinion, so I wont say anything. If you ask me about it I`ll tell you. Any way, why do you "gay`s" have so much against another mans choich? I thougth USA was the land of the braindead but free!

Irneet good luck with the rims and the lowering, I personaly have 20" with 275/40 pirelli and lowering springs from H&R and the ride is uncomfortably!
But it looks alot better then my org. 17" 255/60!
ART tunning makes Lowering springs and adjusted shocks for these, but I think the price is stiff!

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
I think it`s f%&#kup but you dont ask me for my opinion, so I wont say anything. If you ask me about it I`ll tell you. Any way, why do you "gay`s" have so much against another mans choich? I thougth USA was the land of the braindead but free!

Irneet good luck with the rims and the lowering, I personaly have 20" with 275/40 pirelli and lowering springs from H&R and the ride is uncomfortably!
ART tunning makes Lowering springs and adjusted shocks for these, but I think the price is stiff!
So does your image of the bulge infront of my spandex pants make you go for an ice cube or the bathroom? I really really really like to know what you think - and I can smell you from here Tiger!!!!!! Mmmmmmm, what a taste!!!!

·
Banned
2,629 Posts

Please get your GED then report back. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cut the springs. And don't forget the neon underglows.
Did you ever get the lambo doors for your ML Pointless?

Wow we are like a dysfunctionally family, darkdesiree want`s to sniff my crack
and pointless tries to get me back to school!

Can I please add you gay`s to my buddy list!

No one has ever cared this much about me!

·
Banned
2,629 Posts
Did you ever get the lambo doors for your ML Pointless?

Wow we are like a dysfunctionally family, darkdesiree want`s to sniff my crack
and pointless tries to get me back to school!

Can I please add you gay`s to my buddy list!

No one has ever cared this much about me!
I literally cringe as I read your posts. Well done. Please wear your helmet when standing up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the help guys
also the haters can suck a DICK

·
Registered
43 Posts
i thought my 22's looked big....post pics when your done. Honestly I think 24's are going to look a little big but hey...it might look good too. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
388 Posts
hey gwml55, are those authentic lowenhart ldr? I cant tell cuz the picture is too small. If they are, will you send me a picture of it? I wanna see how they look. thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey gwml55, are those authentic lowenhart ldr? I cant tell cuz the picture is too small. If they are, will you send me a picture of it? I wanna see how they look. thanks

No they are not lowenharts, they are D'Vinci Blade II's.
here is a pic anyway, though its not the greatest. I still have to lower it, I have Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks ready to be installed. I just have to find a mechanic in the town I just moved to.

·
Registered
299 Posts
here is a pic anyway, though its not the greatest. I still have to lower it, I have Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks ready to be installed. I just have to find a mechanic in the town I just moved to.

I see that you live in British Columbia. In case you live in the Vancouver area, you could try Allan Autotech in Burnaby (on Imperial Drive). I had my suspension installed there.

·
Premium Member
6,457 Posts
thanks for the help guys
also the haters can suck a DICK
I don't believe anyone said they hated your choice - it's yours to live with, anyway. The point is that you'll have a hard time lowering the truck to look and drive in any decent manner without doing some serious hardware mods. This is not as simple as swapping OEM pieces for H&R/B'Steins. It really isn't that simple.

·
Registered
388 Posts

They actually look better than I thought. I prefer big face black with chrome lip but yours look awesome. I think 22's are nice on MLs. (depending on the type of rims).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I see that you live in British Columbia. In case you live in the Vancouver area, you could try Allan Autotech in Burnaby (on Imperial Drive). I had my suspension installed there.
I live in the Okanagan by silverstar ski resort which your probably familiar with. Was there quite a dramatic drop when you got your suspension installed? i know the ride is stiff but tolerable. I just want to make sure that nothing will go wrong down the road.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts