Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 S280
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for a quick journey and when getting out out of the car the seatbelt did not retract.

I pulled it out further thinkin it would then reel back but it is now stuck in the fully extended position.

I have done a search on the forum and it appears that I am going to have to fork out more money to get it repaired.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it a common fault?

:crybaby2:

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
867 Posts
It's a common fault and they ain't cheap - £175 + VAT 3 years ago.

Mike

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
380$ at dealer. installation is diy possible but make sure you disconnect the battery before or your airbags have a 90% chance of going off...

there is no repair for the main reel taking the bucket. the unit is not servicable nor is it advised one tampers with it.

so you just replace the whole thing.

remove the pillar where the belt goes and its a 17mm bolt or two. simple enough.

just don't forget the battery first. you only need to dc it when you disconnect/connect the electrical connections. you can work on the trim and all that with it it connected just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 S280
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Do either of you know how to take the trim panel off? Where do I start? I don't want to break any clips inadvertently.

Many thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
W220 S320 CDI 2005; W140 S280 1994 (Sold Nov. 2012)
867 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Do either of you know how to take the trim panel off? Where do I start? I don't want to break any clips inadvertently.

Many thanks in advance.:thumbsup:
As far as I recall, there is one hidden screw - it's behind the coat hook at the top, rear of the pillar: you have to slide the hook upwards to uncover it. For the rest, it 'simply' pulls off.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts