Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'83 300SD Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though I work for them I've never owned one. This is my first one and it will be my every day car. I was in the right place at the right time. $2500.. 213K when I got it. New trans at 175K,new Euro headlamps,126 15" wheels and the only thing not working is the cruise control. Runs great and getting 24 mpg in this heat with the a/c going....

·
Registered
Various Rental Cars
310 Posts
awww sexy! That is sweet! I have a 1983 300CD in the same color with the same rims.. and...

Welcome hehe but I'm new too.

NICE!! That is sweet! I have a 1983 300CD in the same color with the same rims.. and headlights ;)

btw, check out www.mercedesshop.com - they have a diesel forum and us NE people have a gathering every now and then!

here's my ride:

You should apply for the hi-mileage award. They'll give you a nice certificate and emblem. call MB's 1-800 number and ask to get the mileage award forms. Then you would have to go to the dealer and have a rep sign the forms. Then you send 'em out to MB!

·
Registered
'83 300SD Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I,sir, am extreeeeeeemely envious
[:0]. Next time my area rep is at the dealership I ma...

I,sir, am extreeeeeeemely envious
[:0]. Next time my area rep is at the dealership I may ask him for the forms...Thanks.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
hi,
advisorguy,
I noticed that you have a VW passat W8, I'm curious on knowing how it...

hi,
advisorguy,
I noticed that you have a VW passat W8, I'm curious on knowing how it drives...
Is it an auto, break, build quality,...?

greetzz,

matteus

·
Registered
'83 300SD Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Euro lights were on it when I bought it last month. I only changed the bulbs to PIAA H...

The Euro lights were on it when I bought it last month. I only changed the bulbs to PIAA Hyper Whites,not the fake HID looking ones.

As for the W8, I'm actually a long time VW guy - 85 GTI,86 Jetta Coupe,2001 Passat GLX,which I traded for the W8. The W8 is a 6 speed. I waited for the 6 speed's introduction as I generally only drive a manual trans. Build quality is excellent. No rattles,squeaks,etc. The 6 speed requires the Sport Package which I've already supplimented by replacing the springs with H&R Sports and swapping the all-season touring Michelins (hate Michelins for a long time now) with Dunlop 9000's. The car is fast,solid and great to drive. Quite honestly it's untouchable for the money. An A6 4.2 runs in the mid $50's and an E430,now E500 4MATIC optioned up would run in the low $60's. The stigma of a "$40,000 VW !!" really doesn't bother me. I'm not one that shops for a label,or hood ornament,to satisfy my ego. I know this is a Benz forum,but you asked...
[;)]

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
hehe, thx for the reply.
I heard the W8's are good drives.
good engine, relatively [:D...

hehe, thx for the reply.
good engine, relatively [:D][;)][:eek:)] good build quality (still german[:p]) and very nice price indeed!

Do you have any experience with a normal V8 engine?
and if so,
what is the big difference between the V8 and the W8?
what about the noise? the torque? the mileage? ...

Just like to know a bit more via a W8 owner about these engines and cars. Not much info in magazines,...

appreciate your replies.

best regards,

matteus

P.S. Perhaps you have any pictures of it near your computer?[:D][8D][;)]

·
Registered
Various Rental Cars
310 Posts
I actually picked up the headlights from
http://www.capitolwest.com/

I did get one o...

I actually picked up the headlights from
http://www.capitolwest.com/

I did get one of the two headlights from www.thebenzbin.com for $150 by putting in the part numbers

1238200159 left and 1238200259 right euro 123 headlights

I just checked again and now it's at $187.50
still a bargain compared to capitol west's
but the capitol west 'kit' actually comes with blinkers too, which are darker (Euro) without the side reflectors. It also comes w/ connectors. It might've come w/ the bulbs but I don't remember.

I use Philips Vision Plus H4's. http://www.powerbulbs.com/ they are really good bulbs!

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?threadid=14312

Check out that site for ideas on install of Euro headlights.

·
Registered
'83 300SD Turbo
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: hehe, thx for the reply.I heard the W8's are good drives.good engine, relatively [:D

hehe, thx for the reply.
good engine, relatively [:D][;)][:eek:)] good build quality (still german[:p]) and very nice price indeed!

Do you have any experience with a normal V8 engine?
and if so,
what is the big difference between the V8 and the W8?
what about the noise? the torque? the mileage? ...

Just like to know a bit more via a W8 owner about these engines and cars. Not much info in magazines,...

appreciate your replies.

best regards,

matteus

P.S. Perhaps you have any pictures of it near your computer?[:D][8D][;)]
Matteus, I work for a Benz dealer so don't get me started on that build quality crack... [:p]
Anyway, the only difference in a W8 vs a V8 is the cylinder line up. rather than being 1-5
2-6
3-7
4-8
the W8 is like this:
1-5
-2-6
3-7
-4-8. Since the crankshaft arrangement would make for some harmonic imbalances, it does have counter-rotating balance shafts. Power delivery is great,no peaks and valleys. It just seems to have power from idle to redline although I do have to get an ecu upgrade to get rid of that pesky 130 mph speed limiter... [:D] As far as mileage,I'm in an extreme mixed loop, meaning I'm either in bumper to bumper traffic or doing 80-90 mph so I've been averaging around 19 mpg but then again that's why I bought the 300D.... [8D] If you're looking for more info on the W8 or any Passat,check out http://www.clubb5.com This is a club dedicated to the 5th generation Passat from 97 up. Just use the search and type in W8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.