Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I don't hang around here so much anymore after big brother filtered "cars" as a EXCLUDED category at work.

I'm just dropping a line to let everyone know that I surpassed the 100 thousand mile mark this week driving to work. I bought my car in the February nearest my join date, I don't remember the year off-hand. It had 13K on it and had been a lease car to a company exec.

Mods included ASP pulley and rechip to match pulley rpms soon after buying the car, also included a K&N (don't holler at me) and still on my original MAF so there goes the whole K&N-MAf argument.

Maintenience items include fresh oil every 3-4K miles, one set of good quality brake pads and drilled and slotted rotors(needs new pads soon) that I got on fleabay for 149 or 179, don't remember which, one set of tires (needs four more of those too but I got 60K on this set), one ignition lock and cylinder caused by dumb owner, one headlight burned out so I replaced them both for cheap bucks on fleabay...oh, the original battery finally died this past summer....8 years, not bad....that's it.

Problems....hmmmm let's see, I used to keep 20 keys on my ring until it damaged and I ended up replacing my ignition cylinder(did a write up on it to help anyone who needs it). I can't blame Mercedes for that since I caused it. Two weeks ago my accessory belt (the one that turns the SC) idler sprocket bearing siezed and caused the sprocket to end up lying in my engine pan (79 bucks from Mercedes)....and I think that's it. Car never breaks! Still runs great, roof works fine and have never even developed a hint of interior paint peeling, thank God. Bazzle, Tony, Bruce, Steve J and some others were invaluable in teaching me all that stuff that I didn't know that I didn't know. That no doubt had much to do with my car running so well for so long.

Guess it's now on to the next 100k mark...what the heck, cars was paid for 3 years ago so I've been riding for free and going to drive it till it blows up!!

All in all, very reliable and still a blast to drive so to the new guys...Take care of it and it will run forever, well, at least to 100K!!

Take care guys,

jeff

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
34 Posts
The stealer where I got mine at had an identical one with 198,000 miles that he sold for $4500. It was in really good shape and ran almost perfect, but i don't know the service history, only that the original engine, tranny, S/C and drivetrain were still going. So I would say a well maintained and unabused SLK should do an easy 200,000 miles...its a Mercedes after all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts