Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 41 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Greetings, all

I am a long-time member of the W123 community, and an almost-as-long-time member of the W202 community.

Now I am crashing you fine folks' party too!

Recently I lamented about the one that got away. Well, that car was bought by a speculator, who immediately offered the car for sale for twice what he had paid for it. Unfortunately for him, I had seen the car before, I have good technical knowledge of Mercs, and I knew what he had paid for the car. So I haggled him down a fair amount.

And here she is! By way of the UK, a base-specification 300SE with 5-speed manual transmission!

She has 405 000 km on the clock, which is a lot more than any of the cars I had purchased before. And she needs a lot of routine maintenance items to be done at once, which is far beyond my cash flow. The engine rubbers have collapsed, and the LHS engine shock has broken clean in two. The wheel shocks are also shot. She has four brand new tyres, which are a different size to the spare. So I won't be driving her any distance anytime soon. But then, the reason why I wanted this particular car is because

No sunroof

and no automatic transmission

Being a base specification, the interior is MB Tex rather than leather - an uncommon thing on South African W126s. But I'll be honest: while the general condition of the interior is amazing for its age, I am not a fan of the dark blue. I will swap it out for a cream or even palomino interior.

Also, she smells of tobacco. And I don't smoke.

But, hey,

No sunroof

I am also a little conflicted about the paintwork. She has two small rust spots below the rear window. So I will have to have her painted not too far in the future. I am not sure I like the astral silver, because it is just so boring. But what colour to choose? W126s look great in smoke silver. But my W123 is already smoke silver. Diamond blue looks good too, but it is hard to see on the road and shows dirt quite easily. I would even consider white, or ivory. But my W202 is white, and while these cars look good in ivory, their true beauty shines through in metallic hues.

Then there's the wiring.

The radio plays through only the left front speaker. The "lights on" buzzer sounds when the lights are on and a door is opened, even while the engine is still running. And the outside temperature is a hot mess - it read 45.7°C while I was driving in the rain, and 51°C on a sunny day.

Also, there's the vacuum.

The one rear door doesn't lock. So I have to lock it manually, to great fanfare of the alarm system. The engine also starts with great difficulty, and idles very low - this and other W126 and W124 forums suggest that it is related to the engine vacuum system. She also doesn't feel quite like 138kW (185hp)

Still,

No sunroof

Love and dedication, man!
I feel the same about my restoration of a w124 200E, 4cylinder 3.2 carb. Everyone asks me why not buy an SUV?! I need all I can handle with this one. Takes everywhere and keeps me busy hhhhhI keep it at the Dominican Republic, Santo Domingo and it has proven to be able to hand all toads conditions, except steep hill 😅
Good luck &enjoy

41 - 41 of 41 Posts