Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

Registered
2006 ML320 CDi, 3.0-litre Diesel 7G-Tronic
Sorry, can't do that. They USED to be.

I've currently got an ML320, an A160 and a C180. None are a patch on my old E320, or my older 300SEL. Yeah the newer ones feel nicer, more comfortable etc. But they go wrong an Awful lot more often.

The ML is not worth the money the first owner must have paid, we can get better value from Toyota and Honda, maybe even Hyundai and KIA.

Sorry, I'm on the opposition benches on this one and it makes me very sad indeed, I've always loved my old Mercs.

By the way - ANSVER MEIN QVESTIONS!! 馃檮

PS: Please don't take offence guys, I'm being jovial to solicit some banter, and I'm genuinely interested in PlaneCrazy's project, I love and miss the old Mercs probably as much as he does.

You'll get to know my style over the next few friendly jabs, since we're all on lockdown we have to amuse each other. Several countries have now applied curfews since our daft countrymates are just that. Boris is discussing applying curfews with heavy fines today but I don't think our mad dogs and Englishmen will take that through Parliament in case they offend our Sad Sissies and Lager Louts! :(

Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
Discussion Starter #22

Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
Discussion Starter #24
At the moment, and for a while to come, she has the M103 3lt petrol engine.

But this engine is tired.

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
The OM606 is going into the W126, complete with 5-speed manual transmission. It is a crazy idea I've been having for years now. I'm not too interested in speed (I'm more of a "smiles-per-gallon" guy), but FWIW, my calculations show that the W126 will even outrun my W202 up to 120km/h.

I hope nobody likes this idea, or the final result. Then nobody will ever try to steal my car:D

Registered
1986 560SL 1986 420 SEL
Some time ago the auto engineers in the USA must have realized that most people are right handed. There were significant transmission failures because there is a natural tendency to push the gear shift away from you when power shifting from second to third gear. In a RHD this caused to may shifts from second into reverse when drag racing in 1908. I think I'll shut up now and pour myself another Woodfford Reserve! LOL.

Registered
The OM606 is going into the W126, complete with 5-speed manual transmission. It is a crazy idea I've been having for years now. I'm not too interested in speed (I'm more of a "smiles-per-gallon" guy), but FWIW, my calculations show that the W126 will even outrun my W202 up to 120km/h.

I hope nobody likes this idea, or the final result. Then nobody will ever try to steal my car:D
Well, you gotta scratch that itch, young feller! :)

I'm too old to do that much. There was a time, I removed a blown engine from my Sunbeam Rapier, which I dearly loved despite being a horrible shade of green, nicknamed The Green Gilbert, and replaced the block with a refurb unit and stuff like that, all on my Todd! (Alone in Blimey O Limey, not sure that ever came from Cockney - any cockney know?).

I had to wait around a month to be able to afford to rent an engine hoist to remove it, return it, and rent it again for a week or so when the replacement block arrived. That was back in the day when you could get any engineering shop to trust you enough to send you a block without charging you a holding deposit and then wait to get yours. Money was very tight but we got so much done, and friendly engineering shops were everywhere, supplying oversized pistons, oversized rings, cylinder liners, valves, sleeves, you name it.

Then about another month or 6 weeks to put it all back together. And... It only bluddy fired up first time! Was I chuffed or what!? And it went like a rocket up and down the M1! ;)

Now when we open a bonnet (hood) we see a huge engine cover with lots of tubes and hoses under and no room to change a bloomin' light bulb! :)

My OM613(?) in the E320 CDi was so easy to get round everything. Not now.

My 300SEL was very open too, lovely real Merc, outstanding quality.

Lots of good memories of 3 or 4 engine replacements/rebuilds, so I have a rough idea what's involved, and this isn't about me, I'm really interested in following your work here bud.

May we know your name by the way? You can see mine.

All the best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
My name is Gerrit. "G" like a Scottish "ch", "R" like the Spanish or Italians would say it.

But you may call me PlaneCrazy.

Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Your right i checked the vintage ford pics from the early 1900's and all RHD then in 1908 ford produced its first LHD
Quote:
In the early years of English colonisation of North America, English driving customs were followed and the colonies drove on the left.
After gaining independence from England, however, they were anxious to cast off all remaining links with their British colonial past and
gradually changed to right-hand driving.

Aahh they did not like the Poms influence on shaping the country and made a stance - pity as RHD is so much more natural with shifting using your left hand - haha

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
So, it's happening.

We are officially on lockdown from Thursday night. For three whole weeks!

Which means I will be forced to work from home while taking unpaid leave... (And here I thought this was going to be the perfect time to do some W126 exploring)

Registered
Yeah, get some bits for the car or for some hobby or paint or stuff before Thursday then, if you can, so you have something to do. I was planning on making a tiled table top for outside, but the tile shop was getting ready to close and couldn't sell us anything, we're on lockdown from this evening until mid-April.

Yuck! :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
All the bits are stuck at customs, or other logistics companies.

I have everything I need for the W123, just need to do the work (finishing up my custom rear shelf for the 8" coaxial speakers), and I can start partially disassembling and reassembling the W126 to figure out the wiring.

Spending isn't really an option, because I am expecting a reduced paycheck for April - betcha the medical aid, municipality and the home loan won't be so generous as to suspend payment for one month, though...

Are you one of those listed?: Gerrit - Wikipedia
None of those. I keep a low profile.

Registered
Your right i checked the vintage ford pics from the early 1900's and all RHD then in 1908 ford produced its first LHD
Quote:
In the early years of English colonisation of North America, English driving customs were followed and the colonies drove on the left.
After gaining independence from England, however, they were anxious to cast off all remaining links with their British colonial past and
gradually changed to right-hand driving.

Aahh they did not like the Poms influence on shaping the country and made a stance - pity as RHD is so much more natural with shifting using your left hand - haha
It was all Napoleon's fault, he decided that teaching his cavalry to fight swords left-handed would help him get the better of the English cavalry, and he was right for a while. :)

That's what my history teacher told me donkeys' years ago anyway. :)

Registered
All the bits are stuck at customs, or other logistics companies.

I have everything I need for the W123, just need to do the work (finishing up my custom rear shelf for the 8" coaxial speakers), and I can start partially disassembling and reassembling the W126 to figure out the wiring.

Spending isn't really an option, because I am expecting a reduced paycheck for April - betcha the medical aid, municipality and the home loan won't be so generous as to suspend payment for one month, though...

None of those. I keep a low profile.
Yes it's not good all round, despite us trying to keep some light humour. :(

So put up some pics as you go, your speaker shelf etc.?

Registered
Discussion Starter #38

Not much has changed since then, except the speakers are installed. More pics coming.

I sincerely hope the W126 has provision for a good sound system and I won't have to do something like this complex board on the W123. My W202 has provision for 10 speakers, and I have a radio; too bad the pigtail to connect the radio to the car's wiring is stuck at customs...

Premium Member
1990 SEC
Not sure how that panned out but i will blame the Poms influence for the global evolution of RHD cars into certain countries - haha
Doesn't the style guide require that "Poms" always be preceded by "Whingeing"?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts