Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL600 Renntech ECU/TCU Upgrade...many other mods
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this off of an AMG forum site. Maybe it will help the few...

General Information to chassis lowering Reply to this Post Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Posts Report Post to a Moderator Go to the top of this page
Hi folks,

since the topic "chassis lowering" was discussed quite often the last time....here are some facts.

Which things in general are important when lowering your car?

The chassis is one of the most important components in a car and is primarily responsible for ride comfort, road holding and driving safety.
The manufacturers invest a lot of time and money to create a optimal chassis.
Whenever the chassis is adjusted, you got to make sure that the selection of the components is not only chosen because of the costs and optics. Every variation of the chassis is an adjustment to the compromise between road holding, handling, car styling and also the driving safety and the "everyday life using".

What's important when choosing the manufacturer of the chassis components?

Besides the pure features such as lowering rate, adjustability and price, the manufacturer`s workmanship and adjustment competence is of great importance Serial producers offer, due to their longtime cooperation with the automotive industry, good conditions, in particular if this is conected with a lot of experience in motor racing.

Which technical possibilites are there to lower a car?

Generally the automotive-accessoir industry offers different solutions. Replacment of springs: The usage of short sport-springs primarily lead to lowered car optic. The handling improves due to the lowered balance point,only conditionally. Replacement of the springs and usage of sport-shocks: Besides the lowering of the car for the optics, the usage of reinforced high performance sport-chocks leads to a racy and tough handling. In a complete chassis kit, consisting of 4 shocks and springs, every part is phased to each other and the characteristic line is specifically designed for the chassis anf the car`s weight. This optimisation of the characteristic line gets rarely achieved by the accessory dealers,because of the lack of cost intensive test rides (durability test). Scarcely any manufacturer can test the whole models of a car brand - especially because the time in which new models get released has become shorter.Manufacturers who already offer components in assignement for the car-manufacturer, walkt through it more easier.
Don`t forget: The adjustment of components regarding chassis and the weight, doesn`t mean that singularities of the physical effects to load alternations got respected. This has to be tested exclusively for every single car.Experiences of different car models can
normally not be adopted between each other.

Lowering the car by adjustment of the Airmatic ( and similiar systems): This kind of lowering is an adjustment of the electronical and mechanical level-position of the car manufacturer. For this, interventions to the given control unit become necessary. Besides there have to be several changes made to the conecting elements of the level regulator. It`s very likely to loose your warranty here, because any engagement inthe control-software is a violation of license. Concerning the handling, hardly few suppliers can give useful informations, because there haven`t been made anyserious test drives so far.

Offers similiar to those of the Mercedes-AMG GmbH focus exclusively on the optimisation of the production tolerances - by no means values set in the specification sheet are exceeded.

All MB models are for example required by the manufacturer to raise thelevel automatically by the control unit if the level falls below the set value.
Reveres is:
Adjustments to this safety function normally lead to a loss of the operating license.

Which law-provisions are of importance?

According to § 19 Abs 3 StVZO every adjustment to the chassis has to be accepted by a authority of DEKRA or the TÜV.
Because of this, it`s important to pay attention to including certificates on chassis parts and kits, which garantee
that it`s legal to run the car with the new chassis and parts on German roads.

Should there no record of the new parts be made in the registration document, the car looses it`s operating license.

Alltogther; lowering the chassis is a job for the pros.
For club members and interested AMG clients there are finally adquate offers by the manufacturers himself.

kind regards
Axel

·
Registered
SLK350/AMG PKG
184 Posts
This is why I purchased Brabus springs. Which is authorized by MB and the springs are TUV approved. But still not sure if I'll use them. The Brabus springs were over $400 as I could have purchased Eibach or H&R for considerably less.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NukeSLK - 2/14/2005 9:05 PM

This is why I purchased Brabus springs. Which is authorized by MB and the springs are TUV approved. But still not sure if I'll use them. The Brabus springs were over $400 as I could have purchased Eibach or H&R for considerably less.
Brabus doesn't have the springs for the 55 yet. I talked to them yesterday. It still will void your warranty. The only authorized suspension tuning that won't is AMG. At least according to MBUSA.

·
Registered
SLK350/AMG PKG
184 Posts
jmejones - 2/14/2005 10:42 PM

Brabus doesn't have the springs for the 55 yet. I talked to them yesterday. It still will void your warranty. The only authorized suspension tuning that won't is AMG. At least according to MBUSA.
I'm sure MB could make a case that putting wheels on the car that aren't MB can void driveline warranties also. Buy purchasing wheels from them, your buying a warranty at the price they charge. I'm sure they won't warranty the supercharger I hope to add when it becomes available, and I'm not waiting 4 years to put it on [^]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you do that let me know...I'm interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts