Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

the debate amongst my wheeling buddies always seems to come back to flex vs. locked. i prefer being locked and having decent tires and the rover guys all prefer flex, anyways occassionally pictures like this make me wish i had some flex, sometimes.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

pretty sad, but this is at almost full flex. im almost thinking i might need to make some spring spacers.

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
no the G is stock except for bigger tires, 275-65-18's as of now. Mine does not flex very much. the jeep stock flexed a lot more than the G does. However stock for stock the grand didnt have 3 locking diffs or 31inch tires.

I think i read on here that if you get to much "drop" on the G's that the front drive shaft hits the cross member? or something like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Keep your feet on the ground

Face the facts.

The 3-link suspension of the G is a simple and reliable suspension that works quite well for road and rough tracks.
But this not the best off-road suspension availible cause winding twist the housings that take up the job of an anti-sway bar.
There is no way to get the same winding out of 3-link as 4 or 5-link built with similar length suspension arms.
Longer radius arms in a 3-link system give better winding capacity.

Another fundamental thing in a 3-link system is the frame mount of the radius arms. If longer coils are used, best winding performance is obtained by setting the radius arms near level by lowering frame mounts. That setup allows flex with minimum twisting of axles.
Somehow that fundamental adjustment does not seam to be common west of the Atlantic Ridge... -but it is one of the most fundamental adjustment to maintain driveability of lifted cars.....

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: Keep your feet on the ground

im not saying its great, im just saying i would like about 3 more inches in the front. im a fan of lockers not flex, especially when the drive line is at such a funky geometery waiting to snap something.

·
Registered
265 Posts

4x4abc - 3/18/2005 6:23 PM
You lost me guys - why is so much flex good?
Harald
Good point.

The capacity to spread the weight (=traction) eavenly on uneaven surface calls for flex.

From the pictures in this thread you allso get the impression that the extreme flex is mostly for show-off as it is obvious that in those exaggerated positions the dropped wheels are not supporting any weight and a strap should be used to limit useless downtravel that can be dangerus, specially with extremely tilted radius arms ... -you might end up driving over the front housing.. [8D]

·
Registered
573 Posts

4x4abc - 3/17/2005 11:23 AM

You lost me guys - why is so much flex good?

Uh oh, we're about to get a lesson in driving offroad. [:D] Harald's going tell us that flex is there to make up for poor driving technique. Guess what, he's right.

Flex is overrated. Like Karl said, be joyous in the fact that you drive a very simple and durable truck. In competitions like the Croatia Tropy, the trucks built for articulation do the poorest. In order to win the race, the vehicle must not break. Period! For years, the G has proven to be the best in stock form for endurance rallyes.

-Sean P.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

sean whats going on man, long time no hear. thomas' winch burned up weekend before last. im sure he's going to be calling and crying about it.
i thought winches were to make up for poor driving technique???

·
Registered
1996 G300TD
384 Posts
This has been discussed soooo many times. 1st limiting factor are the shocks. When you leave everything stock except schocks and springs you'll end up with this. For my taste (with the lockers) this is more than enough.

JW

·
Registered
C230 and Land Rover
19 Posts
... rover guys all prefer flex...
I wouldn't go so far as to say that. I built my rover with stability and consistency in mind, lockers and spring retainers. Everyone who has commented on reliability and longevity has been spot on. In my experience with the rover world, the people who install drop cones and build their trucks from massive, unusable, amounts of sexy flex are the one who don't really use their trucks. They are the ones who are in it for a few years then sell their trucks, and the few with the flex who do use their trucks are the ones who seem to be breaking things most often.

Matt

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts

seventyfive - 3/17/2005 8:42 AM

sean whats going on man, long time no hear. thomas' winch burned up weekend before last. im sure he's going to be calling and crying about it.
i thought winches were to make up for poor driving technique???
Your NBOO website is hilarious!

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
I'll go with cucumbers

The thread started out with "flex vs. locked".
I know lockers inside and out.
Now let me hear a few good arguments for flex.

Harald

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
RE: I'll go with cucumbers

Don't bail out on me.
Looking good and posing is very much a male thing - nothing wrong with it.
Posting cool pictures is great too. That's why I love this forum so much.
But then there is this nagging German gene in me that makes me ask, why do they break so often? What is the reason, what can be done to change that?
And then, of course, why is flex good? Not why flex is better.

Anyone?

I am not in lecture mode. Packing for Baja. I am as relaxed as can be.

Harald

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 G300TD
384 Posts
0 flex is not good. Lots of flex is not necessary. Too much flex?

What has more grip: 2 tires with equal load or 1 tire with double the load? Don't know.

JW

This is not a result of lack of flex:

Attachments

·
Registered
02 G500
2,254 Posts
All in all you need some of both.

Rover people flex like crazy so do jeep guys. On the hand chevy and dodge guys just power through most of the stuff.

I like good flex becuase i hate the feeling of having one wheel off the ground which always turns into two wheels then you have the seasaw feeling going.

Also if one had a rig that flexed a LOT and had all the lockers 4 wheels on the ground go better than 2.

That being said a ultra flex rig like my old jeep does take some of the fun out of wheeling.

·
Registered
exgowner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RE: I'll go with cucumbers

harald, we should really be around a bonfire sucking down beverage to discuss this properly.

i set my rig up like i mentioned before, biggest meats i can put on with the least amount of lift to avoid letting myself get into a situation that would cause me to flop, to avoid what my buddy trevor did in that previous pic. for me, having a ton of clearance between a rock and my pumpkin is more important than being able to do some serious cross axle action. aside from when we should stop for the night and drink this is the biggest discussion that comes up on wheeling trips, it's like trying to get a butt man to admit boobs are better.
as for failure, the only thing i can compare a fully flexed rig to is a stretch bolt that has been torqued beyond it's tensile strength...it only needs another little turn to snap. but most guys that are super flexed know better than to be stomping the throttle.

believe me, amongst my group there is allot of different thinking about flex since they have seen what the g can do, relatively stock. especially when it comes to detroit style lockers and arb style. i honestly get through more stuff than the guys that have a ton of flex, simply by working the lockers.

if you ever get out here to the east coast you gotta come wheeling with us, we will have beers and discuss which is better. pickles or cucmbers. plus you can tell us how paragon compares to out west.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts