Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my rear Windows repalced in my soft top. I went to put the top down one morning and heard a loud "POP" it turned out to be the rear window in my soft top. I was ready to start panicing at the thought of repalcing the rear section of the soft top. So I call a local and reputable upholstery shop to get a price quote and they informed me that they could remove the rear section of the top and sew in new plastic windows. I dropped my car off there at 8am and it was ready by 5:30pm the same day. After bringing the car home and giving it a full once over I found many defects in the work that had been done and took the car back the follwing business day. The owner took one look at the job they had done and asked when I could bring the car back in so they could re-do the complete job over again. I brought the car in the following morning and it was done that evening and they had done a terrific job. It cost me about $650.00 US and it was covered under my glass coverage :)

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
That's awesome news. I know that day is coming for mine and I was thinking over $1K.......

That's awesome news. I know that day is coming for mine and I was thinking over $1K....

·
Registered
91 300 sl red/pala
21 Posts
window replacement in cali

Hey what's up guy? I did not have the heart to answer the guy in New York who had his rear windows replaced for $650.00, that's about $400.00 more when you are ready, contact California Auto Upholstery, 14333 Commerce Dr. Garden Grove ca. 714-554-9072. I had my whole top replaced for $900.00, they did a great job.

I have a friend who is driving from no. cali to have all three windows done for $250.00

good luck!! for that price you may as well have it done now

Lewis

·
Registered
2006 CLS 500
9 Posts
Soft top

You can get a replacement top for about $320.00 on ebay. Nice top for the money. The only warning would be to get ready for about a 6 hour install job.

·
Registered
1996 500SL
72 Posts
6 hour is very optimistic. I bought the top off of ebay and I think it is going to be just fine. I am in the middle of the job right now. I am taking my time, but it took me 7 hours last Sunday to simpy remove the old top. It takes a lot of time geting the old contact cement off of the supports. The video for the top replacement is really nice to watch step by step.
I will not be able to start the install yet as I am going on a Caribbean vacation, a well desereved one for someone from Wisconsin. I will put the new top on Easter weekend when I have my father in town and another pair of hands to help with the install. I will report back later, but if you have some time and are carefull with the clean up and solvent to remove the contact cement it is fairly straight forward to do a compete top.
Marv Clott 96 500SL

·
Registered
300sl (r129),porsche 997, mercedes e250 cabrio (W207,280 clk (w209) rx270 lexus)
342 Posts
Bro, could u attached the ebay sites ... think mine's about to go too....
Just wondering if anybody can come up with a glass on the rear like the clk ...
Dreaming.......

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
I've done a couple of tops before. One was on a '59 190 and the other was a '72 TR6. Both were easy and only took a couple of hours each. My current SL looks like a full day ordeal and I dread the day, but alas, I am cheap so I will do it myself. It would be nice to start a sticky to include tips from those of you who have endured the install. I am encouraged by the thought that my insurance would consider the plastic windows to be under the same coverage as glass breakage.

Now for a cosmetic question. My SL is brilliant silver w/gray interior and a black top. Back in '83 I ordered a new SL in the same color combo with a dark blue top. I thought it looked great. Has anyone seen this combo on an R129? When my top dies I am considering blue.

Opinions?

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
contact California Auto Upholstery, 14333 Commerce Dr. Garden Grove ca. 714-554-9072. I had my whole top replaced for $900.00, they did a great job.

I have a friend who is driving from no. cali to have all three windows done for $250.00
Lewis, thanks for the info. I also had my 88 560SL whole top replaced by the CA Auto Upholstery in 6/94 for $650.00 but they did not use a genuine MB replacement top. It was an aftermarket product.

·
Registered
2000SL 500 Designo Edition
93 Posts
Tips for replacing rear window ????

I searched for "replacement of the convertible top" and I think this is the most pertinent thread for my post. If the moderators think I would be better served by putting this post in another thread by all means please feel free to move it.

I have a 2000 SL500 and I broke the rear window out of the top when I put the top down when it was too cold so I need to replace it.

I plan on taking the rear section of the top off myself and having a new window sewn into the top.

I've watched the videos a few times and I have a few questions for those of you who have already done the job.

#1. What exactly is "MB universal adhesive contact type glue " and where to I purchase it at ? Does it have a common generic name or do I have to buy it from the dealer ?

#2. I understand that I need some type of solvent or adhesive remover to take off the old glue and help remove the top. Where do I get this product and what is it called exactly ? Also is it safe to put the solvent right on the top to take the old glue off ?

I will try and document my adventure with pics and post them when I finish.

Any helpful hints, comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a ton for any and all of your help , Polpower

·
Registered
2000SL 500 Designo Edition
93 Posts
Yes Lynns I read those 2 threads. They mostly talk about where to buy the new top and where to get the job done. I was looking for tips on how to do the project yourself and some info in the actual products to do the job.

Thanks for the tip on PMing 'GUSMB' , Has he done the job himself before ?

Polpower

·
Registered
91 500SL, 20" Wheels, Tuned with Interior & Exterior Mods.
15 Posts
Costly Repair! Why not Do It Replace the Plastic Windows Yourself?

I am sure you have already replaced your plastic windows by now, but I just had to mention that I purchased a window kit for my SL on eBay. I could not bare the $725 cost of having them done, so I paid $165 for the Do It Yourself kit.

It looks like a professional installed it! I got the Tinted windows for the CA sun, and I did not have to remove the canvas top to replace them, so no solvents or glue was needed. Anyway I just thought I would mention it to those who want to save a little heart ache and money. The eBay user ID is R129_Motoring.

I searched for "replacement of the convertible top" and I think this is the most pertinent thread for my post. If the moderators think I would be better served by putting this post in another thread by all means please feel free to move it.

I have a 2000 SL500 and I broke the rear window out of the top when I put the top down when it was too cold so I need to replace it.

I plan on taking the rear section of the top off myself and having a new window sewn into the top.

I've watched the videos a few times and I have a few questions for those of you who have already done the job.

#1. What exactly is "MB universal adhesive contact type glue " and where to I purchase it at ? Does it have a common generic name or do I have to buy it from the dealer ?

#2. I understand that I need some type of solvent or adhesive remover to take off the old glue and help remove the top. Where do I get this product and what is it called exactly ? Also is it safe to put the solvent right on the top to take the old glue off ?

I will try and document my adventure with pics and post them when I finish.

Any helpful hints, comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated !

Thanks a ton for any and all of your help , Polpower

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
I am sure you have already replaced your plastic windows by now, but I just had to mention that I purchased a window kit for my SL on eBay. I could not bare the $725 cost of having them done, so I paid $165 for the Do It Yourself kit.

It looks like a professional installed it! I got the Tinted windows for the CA sun, and I did not have to remove the canvas top to replace them, so no solvents or glue was needed. Anyway I just thought I would mention it to those who want to save a little heart ache and money. The eBay user ID is R129_Motoring.
What kit is this?

I'm very interested in getting tinted rear windows, even though my plastic windows are still fine.

·
Registered
1990 500SL
135 Posts

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts

Have you washed the car with the soft top on?

I wonder why they ONLY fit the 1990-1998 R129?

Would you scan then post the instructions on how to install?

·
Registered
91 500SL, 20" Wheels, Tuned with Interior & Exterior Mods.
15 Posts
Tinted Rear Plastic Windows on My SL!

Lynn, I installed my windows over 3 months ago. Absolutely no problems with leaks or anything. My buddy who turned me on to the kit owns a 2006 500SL and he installed the kit (with my help) about 4 months ago. No problems with his either. Apparently R129_Motoring is not advertising the 99 and newer kit on ebay, since you did not see it. I had to specify the year of the car I have so that he could send the right kit, so just ask them if they have it for your year SL.

As far as the instructions go. They are 5 to 7 pages long, and they came with tools, videos on the installation process, and EVERYTHING IS COPYRIGHTED. The guy I chatted with "Jeff" was real nice and helpful, so honestly I would not feel right breaking the law, by posting these materials. I don't like bad Carma!! Not to mention I would be hurting someone who has been so helpful to me. Also he is selling lots of parts for the SL and I am sure I will be doing business with him again.

email him at: [email protected]

Have you washed the car with the soft top on?

I wonder why they ONLY fit the 1990-1998 R129?

Would you scan then post the instructions on how to install?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts