Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings and salutations, this is my first post.
I have'nt owned a benz for a long time. The last one was a 1958 180D. This 300D turbo sure seems nice. It's also the first time I bought a car on e-bay I hope its not a big mistake. The price seems right and looks to be well cared for even though the miles are a little high. I understand of all the cars out there these can carry the miles real well. Its going to replace my old volvo 242GT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6330&item=2420307248
. I'm sure I'll have numerous questions Like how to fix the tach and the center air conditioning outlet problem.
Alex,

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Congratulations and Welcome!

Your 180 D was pretty slow compared with this 300! I owned a 1961 190 D, and it was very similar in the way it chugged up the hills! The tach problem is most likely a simple fix. The sending unit goes bad and can be replaced easily. The air may be more of a challenge. Use your electical tester to check the switches for the back window. Sometimes it's just oxidation on the contacts. All the best and have FUN!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
It looks like you got it for the price of a beater.
I plan to put my 84 300D turbo on EBa...

I plan to put my 84 300D turbo on EBay, under 170K miles CA and Texas car. Keep procrastinating.

300D's are really great fun with many owned by fanatics.
John Gregg

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: It looks like you got it for the price of a beater.I plan to put my 84 300D turbo on EBa

I plan to put my 84 300D turbo on EBay, under 170K miles CA and Texas car. Keep procrastinating.

300D's are really great fun with many owned by fanatics.
John Gregg
yea I'm just hoping it does'nt turn into a big can of worms. But typicaly after sorting out some relatively minor repairs these hi-mileage cars will just go and go and go.
Your 84 with 170K would be considered fairly low mileage. But I've noticed it is maily the ones with less than 100K that bring the money. I think the the 300K scared most of the buyers off the one I got. And Perhaps rightly so, who knows right now.
I was really shopping for a nice 240D cause I drove a friends around quite a bit years ago and it really was a nice car. A little slow on the hills but not as bad as the 180D was. I only got rid of the 180 because of east coast rustout. That poor car literaly just disinegrated to the point where nothing was holding the suspension in.
So anyway the 300D turbo if it is working right should attact hills with a certain gusto. I drove a Quantum turbo diesel for a while and when you got to a hill in cruise control it attacked the hill. I've folowed 300SDL's around in mexico and they are strong. Is'nt this the same engine as an SDL exept and smaller lighter body? Anyway I cant wait to pick her up and try her out and see if I got lucky or not.
Alex

·
Registered
300 d turbodiesel
52 Posts
congrats

The price wasn't too bad....as long as it doesn't need too much work.... find a good, reputable mechanic to go over the car with a fine toothed comb...to give you some ideas about what it does or doesn't need. I wouldn't worry about the tach. Too costly to fix. Some repairs are quite expensive. As long as the basics are working well...like that turbodiesel...and the brakes, the coolant system and the tires. It's a great solid car...enjoy it!

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
There's probably nothing wrong with the dash lights. The small knob below the speedometer ...

There's probably nothing wrong with the dash lights. The small knob below the speedometer on the left controls their intensity. This same knob also resets the trip odometer which also may be causing the regular odometer to act up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.