Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
05 A6 3.2Q, 07 A4 2.0T S-Line
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...at the local dealership here since they had a promo. All they found were leaking motor mounts ($500) and a leaking steering shock ($115) otherwise they said everything else looked ok.

I'm planning on contacting my extended warranty company to see if they cover either of these and then contacting an indie mechanic for another opinion and another estimate.

The dealer told me that if contacted the EW company that I should mention that I saw a leak in my garage first THEN had it inspected to increase the chances of them covering the repair. He told me that if I left these things unattended then the motor might start vibrating/shaking more (it shakes only slightly at idle right now) and might even start resting on the frame or something like that.

He said if I let the steering shock go then it might feel like the car lost its power steering and it might start making noises when I turn the wheels. Any comments?

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe
653 Posts
D2k said:
...at the local dealership here since they had a promo. All they found were leaking motor mounts ($500) and a leaking steering shock ($115) otherwise they said everything else looked ok.

I'm planning on contacting my extended warranty company to see if they cover either of these and then contacting an indie mechanic for another opinion and another estimate.

The dealer told me that if contacted the EW company that I should mention that I saw a leak in my garage first THEN had it inspected to increase the chances of them covering the repair. He told me that if I left these things unattended then the motor might start vibrating/shaking more (it shakes only slightly at idle right now) and might even start resting on the frame or something like that.

He said if I let the steering shock go then it might feel like the car lost its power steering and it might start making noises when I turn the wheels. Any comments?
Barrier sucks...I've had problems with them - for instance when replacing my harmonic balancer they left off my intake tubes and scratched the hell out of my fender. Phil Smart noticed the tubes missing it when I took into them and lo and behold (3 months later) Barrier found them in their shop and returned them to me - no apology. I recommend Phil Smart instead even though you are in Kirkland.

Neither the motor mounts or steering shock are a big deal unless they bother you. I've had them both replaced on my 430 and didn't really notice any difference. Take your time on getting them fixed in a way that works for you. I disagree with their approach on the EW. Although you can call and see if these items are covered, the dealer will have to contact them to get approval for the work anyway, not you. They should report exactly what happened although you will want them to say you had some symptoms that caused you to bring it in to begin with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm not sure what else they did, but my built-in K40 is now throwing an error beep and I just had it reinstalled properly last week. I'll be taking it to my electronics guy tomorrow to see what plug the dealership pulled out.

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
Phil Smart all the way. I take both my E and CLK and they have been very helpful. I've heard mixed reviews especially within MS about which one to go to, but honestly, I've had nothing but good experiences with Phil Smart so I'll continue to go.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Got my motor mounts and steering shock replaced.

** NO MORE ENGINE SHAKE WHEN STOPPED AT A LIGHT **

I mentioned in one thread that my engine vibrated slightly at a stop but not as bad as others here so I figured it was no big deal. Well, after I got the motor mounts fixed, the vibration is absolutely gone. Just a bonus I guess. The only reason I went through with the repairs is b/c I figured I'd take advantage of the EW I bought for the car.

My mechanic also changed the shifter bushing so now my shifter doesn't feel as loose/jiggly. He said that the danger with that was the car can pop out of "Park" and roll down hills if you don't have the parking brake engaged.

He also told me that the danger with the motor mounts is if they go on you, he's seen one case where the engine, because it has so much torque, lifted up and dented the underside hood of some guy's car!

One last thing he noticed was that I needed a new driver side mirror b/c I think the gadget on it that is responsible for dimming is broken so it's always a little dark. I can't really notice that much but my wife does. The dealer wants almost $400 for the mirror. He doesn't think the EW will cover it b/c it's not exactly broken. He told me the best thing to do is try to find one from a junkyard so I said go for it but I wasn't in a rush.

Oh, he also told me he replaced my oil filter with a fleece one. My old filter was paper and he said that when the paper filters heat up they don't filter the oil as well. Good to know! I did notice that the last time I got the oil changed it was dirty again after 1000-2000 miles.

Anyways, thought I'd share.

·
Registered
2000 CLK430 Coupe
653 Posts
Which is red team - who is on it? Scott, John? BTW - that's kind of ironic coming from a Cougar (I know it's officially "Crimson")
cougarcougar said:
phil smart sux!!
especially the red team!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts