Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my car her winter shoes and snow socks on.

Its that time of year again .... snow ! The wife stole my normal winter wheels for her little C-Class so I was forced into buying another set of winter wheels this year. Picked some up for a great price with good tread that were from an E-Class and added some great 'Snow-Socks' for traction, I must admit so far they are really good and there is no vibration like chains !
Summer wheels are snug and dry in the garage away from the horrible salty roads and will get a lovely polish up and wax seal ready for spring, (Roll on spring!)

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Its that time of year again .... snow ! The wife stole my normal winter wheels for her little C-Class so I was forced into buying another set of winter wheels this year. Picked some up for a great price with good tread that were from an E-Class and added some great 'Snow-Socks' for traction, I must admit so far they are really good and there is no vibration like chains !
Summer wheels are snug and dry in the garage away from the horrible salty roads and will get a lovely polish up and wax seal ready for spring, (Roll on spring!)

:)
I must see more of this "Snow sock", We don't get snow here, EVER. I am interested in how they work.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Those are some seriously ugly wheels, so I'm glad they are being abused by salt and ice and chemicals. :)

Seriously, that's all you need for snow wheels anyway, so I'm glad you're all set and the gorgeous ones are safe and warm and dry in storage. Be safe and enjoy the socks (the only thing they're missing is LED lights)!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must see more of this "Snow sock", We don't get snow here, EVER. I am interested in how they work.
Your lucky , driving on snow is a whole new set of skills and disciplines ! In fact in a lot of European countires that get predictably cold winters like the Czech Republic and Norway it is illegal to drive on normal tyres , and you have to get them changed to snow tyres on a specific day in Novemeber. If you dont you will get fined if caught and if you have an accident you are automatically at fault regardless.! The UK is unpredictable for snow but in the last few years it has been really bad, so more snow chains and socks are seen on sale. If you drive with your wide summer wheels they just get ruined with the salt and holes in the road as well as sitting on top of the snow and ice. You need thin narrow tyres with a higher profile to bed into the snow, the snow sock is good for getting you out of trouble as its easy to fit, it was designed in Norway where the use wool over clothes as it sticks to ice and snow and keeps the under garmet dry. The snow on the sock sticks and creates friction enabling you to move, you can't go higher then 50kph or 30mph though.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your right the wheels are nasty, I actually got stuck in snow yesterday on my way home and looked on ebay and saw this guys selling them, so it was nearby and I stopped and checked them out. I bought them and fitted them there and then to get me home.! Then added the snow sock as its very icy today.

The wheels are nasty but at least the car moves!

·
Registered
280 Posts
your right the wheels are nasty, I actually got stuck in snow yesterday on my way home and looked on ebay and saw this guys selling them, so it was nearby and I stopped and checked them out. I bought them and fitted them there and then to get me home.! Then added the snow sock as its very icy today.

The wheels are nasty but at least the car moves!
Is your winter wheels come from 96-98 W210 E class? If they do, wheel mount using the E lugs or the same from CLK?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Is your winter wheels come from 96-98 W210 E class? If they do, wheel mount using the E lugs or the same from CLK?
Your eye is correct for the source model.

And you would use the E lug bolts, with the caveat that you do NOT want to use the original "extended shank" lug bolt, but rather the improved design.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Your eye is correct for the source model.

And you would use the E lug bolts, with the caveat that you do NOT want to use the original "extended shank" lug bolt, but rather the improved design.

Hope that helps.
What do you mean by the "improved design" lug bolt? Are you saying that the original E lug bolts will not work?

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
What do you mean by the "improved design" lug bolt? Are you saying that the original E lug bolts will not work?
I'm saying that if you use the original design ones that look like this (without the chewed-up threads):

You will live to regret it. The shank on those can shear off above the ball seat, leaving you with a wheel you can't remove. Typically the efforts to get out the broken lug bolt result in a ruined wheel.

That is why those awful things are no longer made. MB released a redesign in the early 2000s that does away with that extended shank. Now they just look like this:

So what you want is the proper, but redesigned, lug bolt for the source vehicle from which the wheels came. It can get more complex than that, but for OE 210 wheels on a 208, that suffices. ;)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm saying that if you use the original design ones that look like this (without the chewed-up threads):

You will live to regret it. The shank on those can shear off above the ball seat, leaving you with a wheel you can't remove. Typically the efforts to get out the broken lug bolt result in a ruined wheel.

That is why those awful things are no longer made. MB released a redesign in the early 2000s that does away with that extended shank. Now they just look like this:

So what you want is the proper, but redesigned, lug bolt for the source vehicle from which the wheels came. It can get more complex than that, but for OE 210 wheels on a 208, that suffices. ;)
Dont think i've ever seen these bolts before? i have had a few Mercs too? they have all been as the bottom pic shows.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Picked some up for a great price with good tread that were from an E-Class and added some great 'Snow-Socks' for traction, I must admit so far they are really good and there is no vibration like chains !
These snow socks are new to me, and I've looked them up on google to see what they are all about.. Obviously very easy to fit.

What happens if the snow on the road melts? If they are not removed do they quickly wear out?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These snow socks are new to me, and I've looked them up on google to see what they are all about.. Obviously very easy to fit.

What happens if the snow on the road melts? If they are not removed do they quickly wear out?
Only for extreme situations, you would remove really if there was no snow on road, but easy to do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts