Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I just purchased a 88 420 SEL for 1k that needs some work done. 1 owner, very heavy cigar smoker so the car smells like a smokehouse. However, she runs pretty good but for a few thing that need attention either minor or major. The steering fluid or something makes a squeky noise when I turn the wheel and for some reason its starting to sound a little like a diesel engine.

I got the car for a good price and expect to spend some $$$ on it but I thought it best to ask for some advice from people who drive MB. Also since she is pretty old and little worn the light switch broke off inside the dashboard "someone please tell me its not gonna cost me an arm and a leg to fix".

So:

Should I replace the steering column?
Should I redo the timing chain?
The headlights are broken and will need to be replaced... "cost?"
Mileage is 222000

I can only say this she runs like a beauty... once she warms up the diesel sound vanishes and the steering issue also goes away until I come to a full stop and then move off again.

I expect to spending some $$$ since I have no idea about cars, especially MB so I'm easy prey for being ripped of so to speak. :)

Please drop me an email [email protected]

Brendan [:)]

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
I'm a smoker and my car doesn't smell like smoke. Open all the windows, doors, sunroof, etc for a night or two and most of the smokey smell should be gone. If it still lingers, try cleaning the carpets and headliner. You may still have ash particles in your air vents, but that's nothing a few good sprays of febreze can't fix.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Welcome!

Should I replace the steering column? No, that’s the P/S pump, check to see if it has fluid.
Should I redo the timing chain? It should have been replaced twice by now – if you don’t know when it was last changed do it now.
The headlights are broken and will need to be replaced... "cost?" About $500 for Bosch – less for less, check eBay.
Mileage is 222000? that’s about where mine is and yours is an 88 – wow. Check the undercarriage for bad rubber pieces and drive line problems.

Needless to say an MB V8 should not sound like a diesel. Where is the sound or sounds coming from on the engine?

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
I'm a smoker and my car doesn't smell like smoke.
Haha... I've heard that one before. How many years you been smokin'? My father-in-law has been a cigar smoker for 10 years and couldn't smell a dog$hit popsicle if he was eating it.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I agree.

RE the sound, perhaps you have a hole in your exhaust? or missing a muffler, or resonator?

·
Registered
1990 300SE
1,466 Posts
EuroCoupe - 3/14/2005 8:44 PM

I'm a smoker and my car doesn't smell like smoke.
Haha... I've heard that one before. How many years you been smokin'? My father-in-law has been a cigar smoker for 10 years and couldn't smell a dog$hit popsicle if he was eating it.
Haha, I know what you mean. But no, non smokers can't even tell.

But I go out of my way to make sure it doesn't smell like smoke. Open windows, sunroof, turn on air vent, etc. I hate the smell of stale cigarettes.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
That's terrible, so you let the people around your car smell your smoke instead of you? close your windows and sunroof. If you want to smoke, don't make the rest of us suffer for it.

I hate driving behind people that chain smoke, and then throw their butts out the window, and then light up another one, and blow smoke out their car towards other people's windows at the stoplights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First thanks to everyone for the great advice.

OK - So heres the lowdown far as I can tell...

1. Location of the noise is like something is loose
2. The timing chain definitely needs to be redone
3. The headlamps will need to be replaced

and to handle the cigar smell I figure on taking for a pretty decent and pretty expensive valet.

PS

I'll post pics soon.

Again thanks for all the advice.

Brendan

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
BrendanRehman - 3/15/2005 10:00 AM

First thanks to everyone for the great advice.

OK - So heres the lowdown far as I can tell...

1. Location of the noise is like something is loose
2. The timing chain definitely needs to be redone
3. The headlamps will need to be replaced

and to handle the cigar smell I figure on taking for a pretty decent and pretty expensive valet.

PS

I'll post pics soon.

Again thanks for all the advice.

Brendan
the noise could also be the timing chain rattling around, if it's stretched. which it probably is if it hasn't ever been replaced.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,290 Posts
Hi Brendan,

jdc is right on regarding the T/chain. Just recently, another benzworld member's V8 jumped timing due to a broken chain guide rail. The result being that the valves hit the pistons... quite a bit of damage. [xx(]

Regards, MBL

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think you are on the right road. I recently purchased a couple of MB'S that smelled of cigarettes. Until I replace the interior, I don't think it will go away entirely.

My detailer added two small cedar blocks into the door pockets. Ironically, they are about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Now, when you open the doors, the smell is awfully pleasant. Unlike air fresheners, the cedar blocks don't loose their odor.

Just a thought

1 - 11 of 11 Posts