Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my daughter an '88 300SEL about a year and a half ago - really nice car with just over 100K. She had limited funds and the 300SEL seemed to be in far far better shape than anything else in her price range - plus she had me to work on it if anything went wrong.

A year and a half later - it's still going strong with no issues. Sooooo.

I just had to buy a w126 as well - they can be had for a song. After looking at countless cars I just acquired a 1986 white on grey 560SEL with 100,200 miles with perfect paint, chrome, interior, etc.

I plan on doing a tune up in the near term and am a bit confused on spark plugs. It seems that everyone here recommends non-resistor spark plugs like the NGK BPxES however in all of the spark plug manufacturer cross references they seem to typically spec a resistor type plug like the NGK BPRxES...

Why is this so? Anybody know? Why would the plug manufacturers spec something different than mercedes did?

Curious.

RB

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Please fill out your profile so we can help you better. Welcome aboard.

You need non resistor plugs because the MB spark plug wire ends have a resistor in them.
Spark plug MFG. do not know this for a 20 or so year old car. NGK BP6ES is the one you need for your car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please fill out your profile so we can help you better. Welcome aboard.

You need non resistor plugs because the MB spark plug wire ends have a resistor in them.
Spark plug MFG. do not know this for a 20 or so year old car. NGK BP6ES is the one you need for your car.
Thanks...

One question - I plan on replacing the plug wires as well so I should make sure that they have resistors? Any recommendations?

Thanks

RB

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is a MB part number for wires set ?
I have no idea - but I would be replacing the plugs and the wires at the same time (as well as a bunch of other maint. items) So I guess my question is matching the non-resistor plugs to the appropriate wires. If I go with NGK BP(5/6)ES plugs what would be good wires?

RB

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Do a search on Plug Wires, there have been many threads on this subject. I bought Bosch the last time and they were ,made in Spain. They seem to be working well. Several names on the market, just make sure the wires have the metal spark plug covers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do a search on Plug Wires, there have been many threads on this subject. I bought Bosch the last time and they were ,made in Spain. They seem to be working well. Several names on the market, just make sure the wires have the metal spark plug covers.
Okay - did search - not real useful but here is what I came up with if you can verify the reasonability:

Wires = Bosch W0133-1606380 (OE replacement w/ shielded ends)
Plugs = NGK BP5ES or BP6ES non-resistor plugs

This sound reasonable?

Thanks

RB

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yes, that's reasonable. I have a set of Bremi wires, and there are a couple of sources for them. Check out Karlyn/STI for theirs part number 113M, I think.

Products: Karlyn/STI Wire Sets, Bremi European Ignition, YEC Japanese Ignition and Front End Suspension

Also, AutohausAZ and BMA offer sets (BMA is a little cheaper):

Your Parts Search Returned 0 Part(s) Parts&[email protected] Plug Wire Set

BMA Auto Parts | Oem auto parts, vw parts, sachs boge, mercedes benz parts, honda auto parts, saab parts Wire Set&mode=PA

P.S.-- At that mileage, the car is due to have the timing chain, tensioner and guides replaced. A crucial bit of maintenance....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that's reasonable. I have a set of Bremi wires, and there are a couple of sources for them. Check out Karlyn/STI for theirs part number 113M, I think.

Products: Karlyn/STI Wire Sets, Bremi European Ignition, YEC Japanese Ignition and Front End Suspension

Also, AutohausAZ and BMA offer sets (BMA is a little cheaper):

Your Parts Search Returned 0 Part(s) Parts&[email protected] Plug Wire Set

BMA Auto Parts | Oem auto parts, vw parts, sachs boge, mercedes benz parts, honda auto parts, saab parts Wire Set&mode=PA

P.S.-- At that mileage, the car is due to have the timing chain, tensioner and guides replaced. A crucial bit of maintenance....
Thanks for the info - what sort of job is it to DIY (re timing chain) - I have replaced a SOHC toyota (1973 celica - kinda hard took me 2 1/2 days, I am slow) and countless OHV v8 pushrod timing chains....??

RB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts