Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was my dads car since new, neglected a bit lately:
here is what i got:
heads rebuilt 3k ago
ss cat back exhaust 3k ago
all dings cleaned up and car completely painted 2 yrs ago
Just fixed high idle 10amp fuse (thanks for the info)
in tranny shop now replaced something pump which was spraying tranny fluid into engine, filter etc... (filter was clean)
Purchased 4 billstein heavy duty shocks (hydromatic was disabled when got car and resevoir? is missing.
getting new trunk seal,tail lights, first gear start module other misc parts
tranny shop found 2 massive fuel leaks (cracked metal lines ) repaired.
new battery.
A/c does not work, but did not too long ago.
Locks not working (advise please)
what is the little black box w/ plunger (passenger side trunk) has yellow hose comming out of it.
also have an abs computer on way,(abs does not work)
Looking for a good deal on H&R or Eibach springs.
since i am converting to conventional shocks which springs do i buy ??
has stock rims - looking for some 17's lmk?
that is the widest size 40 or 45 profile tire on a 17 that i can use w/o staggered setup ?
thanks in advance.
:surrender: :surrender:

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your car.

The black box in the 'trunk' with the yellow hose sounds like your central locking pump.

·
Registered
86 560sec-168K -Ext. Light Ivory/Int. Black/01 E320 4Matic Wagon Brl Silver/Black/ Mad '95 Q45
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
420 SE said:
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your car.

The black box in the 'trunk' with the yellow hose sounds like your central locking pump.
well my locks do not work, upon discovering the box i pushed the plunger in and now it does not want to come out.
what does the other side of the rod go into, i think it is threaded on the end and i pulled it out of place.
is this where i begin to conquer the lock issue ??

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
42,202 Posts
Congrats to your car and welcome to the forum.

Mercedes Benz at www.mbusa.com used to sell the official 2 CD service manual for $ 20. Unfortunately it is not being offered at the present time.
We hope it's only temporary.

You can check the DIY thread above, or type your question into the 'search this forum' box on the top right. It will get you all archived post re. your problem.

You might try the Russian MB site. Don't put in a mod. or vin, click on cars and scroll down, until you get to yours: Êàòàëîã çàï÷àñòåé MB

Good luck

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Congratulations on the coupe. Sounds like youve got a great car with a known history so it will be easy to get it perfect. I think youll have a blast with it.

I just picked one up as well (See my other post 1991 560SEC Euro coupe).

These cars are great and and addictive!. I find myself thinking about my cars more than anything else lately... not necessarily a good thing! LOL! I feel like a woman who just got an engagement ring ... it's beautiful and youre making a commitment.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,247 Posts
Congratulations on your acquisition. It is a great car and will feel very different when you have taken care of the niggles (not a racist slur, it means a minor problem).

heads rebuilt 3k ago - Definitely a plus, but what did they actually do? Valves, seals, etc.
ss cat back exhaust 3k ago - Great, did they eliminate the 'kidney beans'? Does it still have the crossover exhaust pipe behind the engine?
hydromatic was disabled when got car and resevoir? - The SLS is not that bad if properly maintained, but if it has been disabled you should have normal shocks in the back already. The 420 came without the SLS so just search for shocks for that model.
getting new trunk seal,tail lights, first gear start module other misc parts - 1st Gear Start is a fun option. In the mean time you can play around with the 1st gear by using the 'B' slot. :)
A/c does not work, but did not too long ago. - That could be really expensive. :( Hopefully it just needs new hoses and a recharge of R12. Make sure you get R12 and don't convert to R134.
Locks not working (advise please) - See below.
what is the little black box w/ plunger (passenger side trunk) has yellow hose comming out of it. - That is part of the cental locking system. The locks are vacuum operated and there is a pump for the system in the trunk. Unfortunately, there are lots of places for potential leaks in the system, but if you don't have anything happen when you turn the key in any of the locks, the compressor is either not getting power or has burned out.
Looking for a good deal on H&R or Eibach springs. - Try TireRack for the H&R springs. They should be about $300 for the set.
since i am converting to conventional shocks which springs do i buy ?? - You should buy the non-SLS version.
has stock rims - looking for some 17's lmk? - The problem you're going to run into is the offset (ET). Our cars use a very low offset (25 or less) compared to more recent MB cars (35 and up). Your best option is eBay for the old stuff.
that is the widest size 40 or 45 profile tire on a 17 that i can use w/o staggered setup ? - Depends on the width of the rim. If you want the same width all around the limiting factor is what you can put on the front wheels, which is a 17x8.5" with an offset (ET) of 18. Which is what I have, and I use 245/45 tires on those rims. I used to run 225/55 on a 16x7.5" rim.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1985 500 SEC, 2005 E320
1,294 Posts
Nice choice on machine. You may want to check out my thread on restoring and detailing an SEC. there are some valuable tips there. Read it thoroughly as it is a detailed pictoral of total progress to date, and I keep updating it.
access it here! http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd-sdl-class/1309087-check-out-these-jugs.html

Welcome to the forum! On the springs, definately get some stiff lowering springs. Their stock ride height, especially in the front, leaves much to be desired. I used Intrax lowering springs and I love em. The car goes flat through many turns even when I push it hard. Also, you may want to upgrade to sport shocks. I have met quite a few SEC owners to regretted putting OEM, or comfort shocks on em. I have KYB's and the ride isn't too stiff. Very comfortable but very sporty ride.
Good Luck. you will learn alot from these guys. We are a very knowledgeable group with quick responses.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
AxelWulff said:
Congratulations on your acquisition. It is a great car and will feel very different when you have taken care of the niggles (not a racist slur, it means a minor problem).

heads rebuilt 3k ago - Definitely a plus, but what did they actually do? Valves, seals, etc.
ss cat back exhaust 3k ago - Great, did they eliminate the 'kidney beans'? Does it still have the crossover exhaust pipe behind the engine?
hydromatic was disabled when got car and resevoir? - The SLS is not that bad if properly maintained, but if it has been disabled you should have normal shocks in the back already. The 420 came without the SLS so just search for shocks for that model.
getting new trunk seal,tail lights, first gear start module other misc parts - 1st Gear Start is a fun option. In the mean time you can play around with the 1st gear by using the 'B' slot. :)
A/c does not work, but did not too long ago. - That could be really expensive. :( Hopefully it just needs new hoses and a recharge of R12. Make sure you get R12 and don't convert to R134.
Locks not working (advise please) - See below.
what is the little black box w/ plunger (passenger side trunk) has yellow hose comming out of it. - That is part of the cental locking system. The locks are vacuum operated and there is a pump for the system in the trunk. Unfortunately, there are lots of places for potential leaks in the system, but if you don't have anything happen when you turn the key in any of the locks, the compressor is either not getting power or has burned out.
Looking for a good deal on H&R or Eibach springs. - Try TireRack for the H&R springs. They should be about $300 for the set.
since i am converting to conventional shocks which springs do i buy ?? - You should buy the non-SLS version.
has stock rims - looking for some 17's lmk? - The problem you're going to run into is the offset (ET). Our cars use a very low offset (25 or less) compared to more recent MB cars (35 and up). Your best option is eBay for the old stuff.
that is the widest size 40 or 45 profile tire on a 17 that i can use w/o staggered setup ? - Depends on the width of the rim. If you want the same width all around the limiting factor is what you can put on the front wheels, which is a 17x8.5" with an offset (ET) of 18. Which is what I have, and I use 245/45 tires on those rims. I used to run 225/55 on a 16x7.5" rim.

Good luck to you.
Thanks for the info where is the compressor for locks, and location of power to compressor.??
I read that pre 92 SL(129) rims are a fit?
Ordered the sport billsteins $65 each - need the springs - was hoping for a deal.
My addiction to fixing and bringing cars to better than OEM specs has once again fallen into my lap, i am a sucker
the heads and exhaust and paint job were done by my father - i have not been under the car yet - getting it back from my friends transmission shop today -

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DarkOneSK said:
Nice choice on machine. You may want to check out my thread on restoring and detailing an SEC. there are some valuable tips there. Read it thoroughly as it is a detailed pictoral of total progress to date, and I keep updating it.
access it here! http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd-sdl-class/1309087-check-out-these-jugs.html

Welcome to the forum! On the springs, definately get some stiff lowering springs. Their stock ride height, especially in the front, leaves much to be desired. I used Intrax lowering springs and I love em. The car goes flat through many turns even when I push it hard. Also, you may want to upgrade to sport shocks. I have met quite a few SEC owners to regretted putting OEM, or comfort shocks on em. I have KYB's and the ride isn't too stiff. Very comfortable.
Good Luck. you will learn alot from these guys. We are a very knowledgeable group with quick responses.
ur car is hott - i wanted to start w/ an AMG but like i said this got dropped in my lap, funny had the bug for a new project - was looking at porsches

·
Registered
1990 Mecedes-Benz 420SEL
1,217 Posts
jimmypop said:
Thanks for the info where is the compressor for locks, and location of power to compressor.??
I read that pre 92 SL(129) rims are a fit?
Ordered the sport billsteins $65 each - need the springs - was hoping for a deal.
My addiction to fixing and bringing cars to better than OEM specs has once again fallen into my lap, i am a sucker
the heads and exhaust and paint job were done by my father - i have not been under the car yet - getting it back from my friends transmission shop today -

There is no compressor, Jimmy. The locks work off engine vacuum.

Dave

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dave420 said:
There is no compressor, Jimmy. The locks work off engine vacuum.

Dave
thus the pump in the trunk is actually a solenoud valve ? what should i look for?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will Post pics after weekend, Going on a 100 mi. round trip tomorrow.
Gonna dump in a bottle of Lucas Octaine Boost to clean everything out.
Try to conquer locks over weekend, suspension next thurs or friday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts