Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300sd 83'
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a 560sl and will need help restoring (cross road)

I just picked up a gray 560sl (pictures yet to come) has a great body no service history carfax last odometer reading 196,xxxx (2001) the motor feels strong but wobbles (motor mounts) the trans cluncks (up and down shifting) suspension is shot. I CANT WAIT TO START THE REBUILD. I got a set of re-done heads of thank you to Melbourne Motor Sports. and will be ordering a ton more parts for the overhaul expect lots of pics!!!! ALL suggestions WELCOME. Also i would like to know if anyone has ever changed the color of their interior and how!!

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Congrats ! you came to the right place. If it can be known about a 107, someone here has been there done that ! Our motto here is that no pictures, it didn't happen, so glad you got the in the works. These cars are pretty simple, but have many idiosyncrasies. They also run on money ! Keep us posted !:D

·
Premium Member
Present Stable = '88 560SL ,'16 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, '06 LR3 HSE, and '17 Newmar Essex
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
300sd 83'
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now to buisness i started the dismataling and the motor looks great i have no history on the car other than its well north of 200k howevwer you would not know that looking at it. Bellow is a pick of the heads and chain can the chain strech is at 1 the rails look good as well so now im at a crossroads. i want to tear it spsrt and see the pistons look like (have a set of new heads). So Do I Do Or do I dont notice the guides are orangish but look good with no wear

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Why don't you run a compression check before you tear it down? Unless you just want to rebuilt the entire engine, that will give you a good idea about engine health.

·
Registered
300sd 83'
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why don't you run a compression check before you tear it down? Unless you just want to rebuilt the entire engine, that will give you a good idea about engine health.
Thats a great thought. however i have that set of new heads i want to drop in. im not sure if i should change the chain. I will 100% change the guides while im in there maybe even the tensioner Just confused as to weather i should change the chain.

·
Registered
1988 560SL (California Model)
5,103 Posts
I would change the chain and tensioner and use OEM parts. Do a Google search for TradeMotion and Mercedes. Much cheaper than dealer prices. Dealer wanted $300 for a new tensioner...found one (OEM) for half that.

·
Registered
300sd 83'
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
how can i manualy rotate the motor while changing the chain do i really have to take out the radiator? tried to do it via water pump like i do the 300sd = no bueno nothing moved

1 - 9 of 9 Posts