Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the beauty out yesterday (88 560SL 86k original miles) yesterday, drove on the highway for about 30 miles and then, the car started having a hesitation ( very slight but noticeable one) so i got off the highway and the car died twice. I pulled a u- turn at the next signal and I was able to get back on the highway and make it home which was about a 10 mile drive and it did not happen....

The fuel pump, fuel injectors, spark plugs+wires , cap and rotor are all new.
The car does have an issue of, when I drive it around so it is at operating temp and it sits for 10 minutes or so, It won't start unless you floor the accelerator, it will crank over, but not start unless I floor it??

I don't know what it could be? Fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks for the input/suggestions!!

·
Registered
1985 280SL (Euro)
221 Posts
Took the beauty out yesterday (88 560SL 86k original miles) yesterday, drove on the highway for about 30 miles and then, the car started having a hesitation ( very slight but noticeable one) so i got off the highway and the car died twice. I pulled a u- turn at the next signal and I was able to get back on the highway and make it home which was about a 10 mile drive and it did not happen....

The fuel pump, fuel injectors, spark plugs+wires , cap and rotor are all new.
The car does have an issue of, when I drive it around so it is at operating temp and it sits for 10 minutes or so, It won't start unless you floor the accelerator, it will crank over, but not start unless I floor it??

I don't know what it could be? Fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks for the input/suggestions!!
Sounds a lot like the problem I had last year which virtually kept the car off the road for 6 weeks while we tried to figure it out. After trying out various possible causes the villain was finally found to be the ignition module. I have a 1985 280SL so it may not be comparable to your car but the symptoms were the same so it might be worth a look.

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The price discrepancies for the fuel pump relay is crazy!!! Looking for a recommendation. The FCP EURO has the original one for 114 bucks and Autohausaz has an aftermarket one for 31 bucks , with a 2 year guarantee. I'm thinking the Autohausaz one.....
It is a solid state device, why not??
There is only one fuel pump relay ?

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,317 Posts
The price discrepancies for the fuel pump relay is crazy!!! Looking for a recommendation. The FCP EURO has the original one for 114 bucks and Autohausaz has an aftermarket one for 31 bucks , with a 2 year guarantee. I'm thinking the Autohausaz one.....
It is a solid state device, why not??
There is only one fuel pump relay ?
Yes only one, behind the glove box. If the FPR isn’t your problem today, it will be someday. Buy the cheap replacement and keep it as a spare if it doesn’t fix your problem.

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes only one, behind the glove box. If the FPR isn’t your problem today, it will be someday. Buy the cheap replacement and keep it as a spare if it doesn’t fix your problem.
Ordered....I hope this is the issue...Thank you for the feed back...

·
Registered
w108 & w107
125 Posts
Is there a way to test the fuel pump relay? I will look on the forum , but if you have the procedure that would be great.
There is a way to test the FPR. Take it out and jump pins 30 and 87 in the socket that the FPR came out of, and this will deliver constant power to the fuel pump. If you hear the pump running, then the problem is you FPR. If you don't, then that means you aren't getting power to the FPR, so the problem lies before that point. But if the FPR is working intermittently, then it's hard to tell that it's the cause of your issue.

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly what I was thinking....a fuel pressure regulator is over 200 bucks!!??

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you get the module out? I have the liner out and tried pulling up on the front module ( Idle speed controller, my cruise works intermittently, this may be a a problem as well?? ) and wiggling it..no luck. I don't want to break it , so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,317 Posts
Yes the FPR is in an awkward place and it’s firmly seated. You just need to tug on it harder. Maybe use a small pry bar to lever it out.

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the FPR is in an awkward place and it’s firmly seated. You just need to tug on it harder. Maybe use a small pry bar to lever it out.
Ok....ok.....so ...no clips to release or anything of the like? It should pop out....Thank you ...

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it out and wouldn't you know it. The relay I pulled out was a URO part # 9012. The one I am replacing it with is a Euro part UR-0035452505. I could not find that part number anywhere? The car seems ( I may be hopeful) to idle a little smoother. The real test is, will it die on me in the middle of an intersection again....

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,171 Posts
What's the difference between URO and Euro parts?

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Typo...they are both URO ....But, I could not find the old part number that i took out. I was thinking maybe the old relay URO part # 9012 was the wrong one, maybe??

·
Registered
1976 Mercedes-Benz 450SL
19 Posts
Got it out and wouldn't you know it. The relay I pulled out was a URO part # 9012. The one I am replacing it with is a Euro part UR-0035452505. I could not find that part number anywhere? The car seems ( I may be hopeful) to idle a little smoother. The real test is, will it die on me in the middle of an intersection again....
Don't want to be reviving an old thread, but was changing the relay a solution to your problem?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 E500 V8, 1988 560SL
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Don't want to be reviving an old thread, but was changing the relay a solution to your problem?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Not sure. I changed the relay and the only way to verify is go on a long drive. I have not done that yet

1 - 17 of 17 Posts