Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time doing a coolant flush on the E320 CDI (OM648 engine). Did it yesterday (Sunday). Noted a few things.

1.) The stopcock for the radiator is kinda hidden, and I had to use some longnose pliers to get to it.

2.) Draining the radiator isn't quite as easy as it is on, say, a W220 because both hoses are in the middle of the radiator. On other cars, the lower hose is on the bottom of the rad. Also, it takes longer to get the thermostat open because, due to their mass and material, Diesel engines heat up more slowly than the gasoline engines.

3.) The Hella/Behr-brand OEM coolant overflow tank is MADE IN CHINA!!! Yes, that's right. I hope it's still good with Hella/Behr quality control, but still, next time, I'm buying Genuine-MB. Turns out from MBOemParts.com, the Genuine-MB tanks are only a few dollars more, and they're not made in China.

4.) Xerex G-05 is one of two correct coolants to use with the OM648. This is what I used, in a 50/50 mixture.

5.) If disconnecting the top hose from the engine during the flush (distilled water) and refill (50/50 mix), it's a very good idea to use large hose clamps to close off that end. If you don't, whatever fluid you pour in will come right out of the top hose.

6.) Remember to spend some time running the heater during the distilled water flush and the actual coolant refill, so you get new fluid in there as well.

7.) Pressure, about 7-15 psi, is very helpful to get the old stuff out. I use a Motive PowerFill 1745 two-gallon (8-litre) tank/pump for this purpose. Of course, that's also why you have to use hose clamps on the end of the top hose that you disconnect from the engine. :)

8.) M-B is gradually discontinuing some of the coolant hoses for the '05-06 E320 CDI. Sad, but apparently true. So, I replaced every hose that M-B still makes. That includes the hose going to the heater core; they still make that one.

9.) The heater core hose looks like it'd be a bear to replace. It turns out not to be so bad.

10.) WATCH OUT THAT YOU FULLY INSERT THE TOP AND BOTTOM HOSES INTO THE RADIATOR!! That metal clip that holds them in? It can only do so if the hose is inserted ALL the way in. Very nearly learned this the hard way. I thought I had the new lower hose installed properly, but (thanks to my PowerFill 1745 pressure tank) it popped out under pressure. BE CAREFUL! Test your work under pressure of, say, 1 atmosphere (14.5 PSI for us 'Murricans still on the Imperial system).

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Confirmed, the Hella/Bosch reservoir does come with the chem pack.

I also note that, on the W220 side, even the Meyle (also made in China) tank comes with the chem pack. Even there, though, the Genuine-MB part isn't much more expensive at all (maybe $10), so all future cars have gotten the Genuine-MB tank.

·
Registered
923 Posts
are we absolutely sure the OE Benz part isn't also made in china? i've seen many OE bosch parts for instance (not just for Benz's) made in India and china lately.

I also wonder if the aftermarket is sufficiently tooled up for those radiator hose. I would imagine they are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just a few note- and first and thank you! What hoses have been discontinued?

First comment for those using this as a reference. I believe that G48 is the correct coolant. Secondly, Aftermarket Behr is aftermarket. They do not utilize the OE tooling... World has changed at Behr since being purchased by Hella.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd have to look at MBOemParts.com's Web site to determine which hoses have been discontinued. That's where I got my info, so you might have a look there. Not sure about the aftermarket for those hoses (haven't checked yet), but I figured, get 'em while they're hot. When it comes to hoses, I'll do either the Genuine-Manufacturer, or I'll use "Made in USA" hoses. If it's Red China, I tend to stay away unless that's the only option left.

For the E320 CDI between 2005 and 2006, the original coolant spec is G05 (even says so in my Owner's Manual). This is true for apparently all Mercedes-Benzes, from W203 to Maybach, until G48 came out in 2008. Thus, there are now two correct coolant specs for our cars, G48 being the later one. Nothing wrong with using either, and even better yet, both specs are fully compatible with each other.

If memory serves, the Genuine-MB coolant tank is made in Spain, but I'll have to take a look to be sure. It doggone sure ain't Red China, I remember that much. Yep, we've got to be more careful now, but I would've thought that Hella would care more about its own name than to run over to China; that's really disappointing. It is true that Hella has shifted production of some of their multi-purpose relays from Portugal to China.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There are plenty of OE parts being made in China- but there is process, inspection and quality of Mercedes behind it. agreed whole heartedly about the China parts.
Didn't realize G05 was common. Worked on quite a few O6's and they all have G48 which lasts 15 years and the makeup chemical pack is for G48.

·
Registered
35,777 Posts
I agree that Chinese can do quality product if the buyer is willing to pay for quality.
I still have Made in China automotive wrench set I bought 35 years ago and who outlasted several wrenches I bought at Sears at the time when Crafstman was US-made brand.
But for Europe - the suppliers were ordering "Chrome-vanadium" steel, when US suppliers were ordering "cheap, cheap" kind of material.
When I was restoring W124, MB brand lower hose was about $150. I bought the brand that is judged as no-no on this forum and it was still good 5 years later when the car was donated.
China is the biggest rubber producer in the World as we speak and their commercial tires, while cost 1/3 what big names do have very good reputation.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are plenty of OE parts being made in China- but there is process, inspection and quality of Mercedes behind it. agreed whole heartedly about the China parts.
Didn't realize G05 was common. Worked on quite a few O6's and they all have G48 which lasts 15 years and the makeup chemical pack is for G48.
G05 will also last 15 years. In addition to Mercedes-Benz, Ford has also been using G05 for a very long time, and they said 100,000 miles in my truck, probably to be cautious. Remember that G05 and G48 are fully compatible with each other, therefore the chemical pack must also be compatible. This seems a lot like the 236.10 vs. 236.14 "debate" with automatic transmission fluid; for the 722.6 five-speed, 236.10 is the original spec and thus remains correct. The newer 236.14 is fully compatible and is also correct. But that doesn't mean you cannot or should not use 236.10; it continues to work just as well as it did before. It's much the same with G05 vs. G48; either one is fine.

@Kajtek1 does have a point. The Chinese can make a good product if the buyer is willing to pay for quality. Unfortunately, that's far too often the case; car part companies farm it out to the lowest bidder, which is why they run to Red China in the first place. It's just too much of a crap shoot.

That Behr coolant tank that I bought for the E320 CDI? Made in China. Maybe it's good. Maybe it'll crack. I don't know. But as long as it remains a crapshoot, it's all "Chinesium" to me, with all that this implies. From now on, I'm buying only Genuine-MB coolant tanks. It's worth the extra $11 to be sure, especially with something like coolant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts