Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the picture quality. I took these pictures with my phone.

Before:

Ghost lettering after the glue was removed.

After buffing out the ghost letters, I could see that the clear coat was uneven. I sanded it a little with 2000 grit sandpaper.

Finished buffing.

All finished.

·
Registered
91 Posts
wow, 11 years and it looks the same as the surrounding paint? Pic 3 had me worried....you went from left over glue -> Sanding with 2000 grit sp -> then buffing (wax I assume?)

Won't it have that patch of clear coat missing once the wax wears off?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, 11 years and it looks the same as the surrounding paint? Pic 3 had me worried....you went from left over glue -> Sanding with 2000 grit sp -> then buffing (wax I assume?)

Won't it have that patch of clear coat missing once the wax wears off?
I removed the glue first - > buffed out the ghost letters - > wet sanded to even out the clear coat - > buffed again

I didnt sand all the way through the clear coat so I dont wave to worry about it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I debadged my 99 430..even removed the hood star and replaced with a flat m/b button.....I like the look. Life is short..enjoy what you have!!!!!...out

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I don't understand why people want to take the MB badges off their cars. What I can relate to is to remove the "Jones MB Motorcars", or whatever. The average person knows nothing about the MB nomemclature, so what are prople trying to obscure? Do you think it looks cleaner or neater? I'm not being argumentative, but like Oliver said, we know what the car is, so who are you de-badgers trying to accomplish by doing this?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Reminds me of the old days when people used to scrape the letters off of their Toyota pickups so it said "Toy".

To each his own, I guess. At least he didn't put a fake AMG badge on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand why people want to take the MB badges off their cars. What I can relate to is to remove the "Jones MB Motorcars", or whatever. The average person knows nothing about the MB nomemclature, so what are prople trying to obscure? Do you think it looks cleaner or neater? I'm not being argumentative, but like Oliver said, we know what the car is, so who are you de-badgers trying to accomplish by doing this?
Personally I think it looks cleaner.

Reminds me of the old days when people used to scrape the letters off of their Toyota pickups so it said "Toy".

To each his own, I guess. At least he didn't put a fake AMG badge on it.
I would NEVER do anything like that.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Actually...

for more than two decades, ordering a new Mercedes "debadged" has been available as a standard factory option in Germany.

The first owner debadged my W210 before I purchased it and the only way to tell is is a V8 is to look at the wheels. I kind of like it that way too...

JR

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's pretty cool, maybe some new rear lamps? i still have the same ones as yours, but im waiitng untill i can get some quality ones.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Funny, you never see a person with a **500 or **600, 500sec, 560sec doing this.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
fishing

line and a hair dryer first to heat up the badges.
de badge is fine it's the re badge (amg wannabees)that bother me.

Saw some kid with E55 on a 96 6banger(no it was not tommy:thumbsup:)
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Cuz

for some people the dental floss does work with the proper application of heat to loosen the bond.
Sometimes you start out with a screw driver and end up using a hammer:thumbsup:
:bowdown:eek:hlord

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
This is a good way to devalue your car. It makes it look like an repaired wreck, where someone cheaped out and couldn't afford the badges. Those badges aren't cheap, so someone isn't going to want to pay to put them back on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts