Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone think the affiliation with Chrysler is taking something away from the Mercedes brand? I saw a photograph of a new Chrysler vehicle (unidentified in photo) that definitely had some of the design elements of the SL. Not to mention the quality issues with Mercedes that seem to be becoming more and more prevalent. I don't think you can compare a Chrysler vehicle to a Mercedes Benz, however, are they each melding into the other? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm thinking Mercedes isn't what it used to be...something you work hard to attain and that you can be proud to own. Especially based on my experience with my current MB versus the "inexpensive" 91 190E 2.3 I had. Sad to say I loved that car much more than the CLK430 I currently have. Maybe because it was my "first" or maybe there really was a difference in quality over today's MB's. Any opinions?

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
Back in the good old days I could proudly say that my car is made by "Daimler-Benz". Now, ...

Back in the good old days I could proudly say that my car is made by "Daimler-Benz". Now, I feel ashamed knowing that my car is produced by "Daimler-Chrysler". However, Mercedes-Benz retains it's own brand identity. The reason for the downgrade in quality is simple. Mercedes-Benz became greedy somewhere along the line. They wanted to sell more cars, and not just a bit more, but a whole lot more. The only way this can happen is to reduce prices and therefore reduce the quality. I own a 1992 190E 2.6, my first Mercedes-Benz. I got to know the Mercedes brand from that car when I bought it a decade ago. Sadly, the 190 is nowhere comparable to my new S430. I could not find a single fault on the 190, the car is completely luxurious and every piece of material is very high in quality. Not saying that the S-Class is a bad car, but the quality of the materials and fit and finish can be improved in the S-Class. Back then I one of the 51,000 proud Mercedes-Benz owners. Today, I am one in 207,000, which takes some of the exclusiveness away.

·
Registered
14 E350
2,046 Posts
I agree.......

My co-workers joke that I have a fancy Chrysler.
[:(!]

I feel it really takes something from the Mercedes name and reputation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts