Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our R170's in OZ don't have that little horseshoe shaped panel immediately under the headlights -- Whats it for?

·
Registered
2002 SLK320
47 Posts
Mine either

My car doesn't have them either, I think you are talking about where the headlamp washers are on the cars equipped with them.

B

·
Registered
C2D SLK32K
514 Posts
Its the headlight washer. It sprays heated liquid on to the head lights in cold weather. If the car is standing still and you press the button inside it will actually shoot up onto the hood/bonnet......at least mine does and my friend would press it right after me getting the car washed just to piss me off....lol

G

·
I thought they were utterly worthless on my 2000 SLK so I didn't get them on my 32. Much cleaner bumper without them and yes they shoot to the roof if you hit them by accident. I just had no need for them.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320
67 Posts
My favorite post was someone inquire about how to convert these to soap bubble "blowers!" I always wondered if they were successful!

·
Registered
04' SLK230 Komp.
100 Posts
What a waste

I had wipers on my Volvo's headlights. Thought it was pretty cool at the dealership, once I got home it was a joke. THEY DONT WORK.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
They useless for the warmer climates. In northern Europe they are very useful when combined with that pungent alcohol based fluid in clearing ice. I thought they were a gimick too until I had to use it on a German Christmas trip.

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Ok, here's the scenerio...I spend an hour washing the exterior, being very careful to flip my wash glove and carefully dry it off as well...then I move to the inside and as I'm putting the F2000 on the center console, I invariably hit that Fricken button and pour washer solution not just on the headlights and roof but all over the hood and both front fenders as well!! I've done it more than once (hmm, that would make me an idiot<lol>). It's true, looks cool at the dealer when someone else shows it to you but I've never driven in mud where I actually needed headlight washers...not even in my Expedition!

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK you've convinced me!!

After all the positive feedback regarding this worthwhile accessory, I'm just gonna have to have it retrofitted -- hang the cost!!!!!!! YEAH RIGHT!

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
919 Posts
Well, I don't know if the washers are different between the R170 and R171... but I can report that the R171 washers actually work quite well to remove bugs from the headlamps -- no wiping, just very high pressure. I used them a few times on a long drive to Las Vegas (abt 1200 miles roundtrip). I can understand how annoying it is to trigger them at a standstill, but I don't recall they can be triggered unless the car is running... at least not in the 171...

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Kompressor
332 Posts
Some of the guys must have pretty large hands or maybe I am just careful, but in the 3 yrs of owning my SLK I have not hit the button by accident - not even once! How do they do it...

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
707 Posts
Where IS the HEADLAMP WASHER button ?

I just bought a slk320 with the headlamp washers, and no owners manual .. lol .. where IS that button so I know ot avoid it !! :confused:

Is there an easy way of "pulling off the hoses" for example, so if I don't lie them, can just let them "drain" to the road ?! thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
SL63 Iridium Silver Metallic
707 Posts
Gun Mount for SLK?!, Better make it a 4x4 as well !

Ha, good one ... I have alrady joked about attaching a gun rack to the back window of my SLK ...

I am in Cajun Country (New Orleans, LA) they sure do have a lot of back woods boys around the boyou's here ...

If I wat to fit into the back woods, I should do a couple of the modifications below .. ha ha

ENJOY !

I saw these double shotgun suction cup mounts ...

I knew I saw this article a while back in one of my aut0-mags, and I actually just found the article, although not in English!

http://www.prismadesignintl.com/New%20Site/glkpage.html

Truck Trend World Travel: Taking the Long Way Home

-Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts