Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 500sel, 03 c240
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to change my axle due to a torn boot and clicking cv joint. I had been buying time by squeezing some grease in there every so often. I decided to go with a mb part from a junk yard rather than an aftermarket part.

So, after work, in the garage, with a heater, I got it done. In the processe, I changed the diff oil with mobil 1 75-90 synthetic.

So except for an overly tight bolt here and there, not a bad job for diy-er to take on. Make sure you have a floor jack to raise and lower the differential.

So my near-mint 84 300td is back on the road :D.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I too was surprised how easy it was to do. I've got access to a lift whenever I want, so that makes it even easier. The first time doing it, I did both shafts in 45 mins, start to finish. I was really expecting it to take 4 hours... The good news is I had enough Guinness for the 3hrs 15m left! :)

Dave aka Ghan

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
I went cheapo chinese crapola from local auto parts store. I got'em for 50$ per, with a lifetime warranty (deep discount due to family worker)

I did suffer a problem where one of mine has started backing out bolts on one of the joints - I took them all out and put red threadlocker on each one. No probs since. I think since the job is really not that hard, I'd throw in anything I could get my hands on. If it was a 5 hour job, I'd buy the best I can. (I.E. I've heard changing a starter is a terrible job, I'll buy from dealer)

Dave aka Ghan

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo, 126xxx miles
196 Posts
Great job! I'm actually getting ready to do this job myself, although I suspect it will probably take me a bit longer since I'm a complete noob. Both my boots are torn and I got the same cheapo GSP axles from the local parts store.

I did suffer a problem where one of mine has started backing out bolts on one of the joints - I took them all out and put red threadlocker on each one.
I did read about this happening on a few posts; I intend to use threadlocker on all the bolts during the install.

Whats nice about these axles (probably the only thing) is that since they are annular they will be easier to change when they inevitably fail (probably sooner than later).

·
Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
nm450slc : This may be a dumb question, but did you have the back end jacked up also, and had to remove wheels ? If all you did was jack up the diff, I thought the wheels had to come off in order to push out the axle. I guess if the diff is lowered enough, maybe they could be pulled out of the wheel end.

I had the shop replace them - I just didn't want to be under there, even with 2 jack stands and two hydro lifts...and I'm talking all 4 for 1 side at a time. Front end work I didn't mind so much, because you really don't go underneath that much.

·
Registered
196 Posts
^ Yes, you need to have the rear end off the ground with the wheels removed in order to do the replacement.

This is the best tutorial I've come across on this subject:

PeachPartsWiki: Replacing the Rear Axles

I had the shop replace them - I just didn't want to be under there, even with 2 jack stands and two hydro lifts...and I'm talking all 4 for 1 side at a time. Front end work I didn't mind so much, because you really don't go underneath that much.
Honestly, that is what worries me the most about this job, and I'm not looking forward to that aspect of it.

·
Registered
1991 300zx 2+2 @ 129k Miles.
194 Posts
(I.E. I've heard changing a starter is a terrible job, I'll buy from dealer)

Dave aka Ghan
Great info in this thread. Looks as though a novice familiar with tools could preform this work. The starters are a HUGE pain in the rear. I did 2 this year due to failure...Thank heaven for lifetime warranty on parts.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo Diesel (W123) & 2001 S500 (W220)
47 Posts
i'm getting ready to replace both of mine and after reading this might actually attempt it myself. I found a place (CVJ Axles, Inc.) that uses original Mercedes Benz axles that have been completely re-manufactured for a cost of $142.00 each plus a core deposit of $75.00 each. They come with a three year limited warranty

Hope this is useful to someone.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i'm getting ready to replace both of mine and after reading this might actually attempt it myself. I found a place (CVJ Axles, Inc.) that uses original Mercedes Benz axles that have been completely re-manufactured for a cost of $142.00 each plus a core deposit of $75.00 each. They come with a three year limited warranty

Hope this is useful to someone.
Yep, I heard about CVJ, a lot of people have had good experience with them. I plan on rebuilding my original ones with them at some point.

Let us know how the job goes!

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
The difference between the cheep and quality remans is the quality one reman the ball grooves to factory hardness. Cheap ones don't. I've got over a year on my cheapies now with 2 replacements. One of the replacements on the TD also involved having to replace the SLS hard lines...... Get what you pay for. On the cheapies they added new QA and are marking the bolts now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts