Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
ML430 - sold
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 72000 miles I thought I'd change my spark plugs on my '00 ML430.
So I bought 16 of them at $6.40 each from the local NAPA store B4418's 4 tip Platinum.

I did the passenger side first, removed the air box etc and coils. Took about an hour, taking my time.

Then I did the drivers side - I thought it'd be a little more difficult given the electrical fuse box etc getting in the way. Actually took me just under 40 minutes for this side, faster than the first, here's why.

Couple of tips.

1. The hardest part imho is getting the covers of the spark plugs - here's a tip which helped me.

When using a 17mm open ended spanner to pry off the spark plug covers, make sure you counter balance the leverage you're applying to ensure the cover comes off in line with the plug. Otherwise there's a tendency to push down on the cover which actually makes it very hard to remove. Also I gave the covers a slight tweak to rotate them a little first before attempting to lever them off.

2. When doing the drivers side make sure you cover the top of the exhuast heat shield - it has a very sharp edge and will cut your hands.

Hope this helps someone out and save a few $$$

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
hey tim
just did mine too; found the boots came off easier when the engine was warm. I just used b-flat channel locks for twisting and pulling. #7 and 8 were a real pain, and that heat shield BITES. my plugs were very stiff for the first turn or two, but came out easier when the motor was cold. i put in bosch +4's and it seems to run very well, though the fuel economy only improved slightly.

·
Registered
ML430 - sold
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Dan,
it was partly reading your post about plug changing which prompted me to change mine - finally !

·
BenzWorld Post Whore
10 E350 4MATIC
3,832 Posts
so which one is right?

texasdanml430 - 5/11/2005 1:29 PM

hey tim
...found the boots came off easier when the engine was warm...my plugs were very stiff for the first turn or two, but came out easier when the motor was cold...
Do you warm up the engine to easily remove the boots THEN wait till the motor cools off to remove the plugs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts