Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
w163 ml
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just received factory bi-xenons from germany complete.
I have a 2002 ml 270 cdi will these straight replace my existing projector halogens with out any additional wiring.
as usual i bought without advice.
i bought each headlight from seperate supplier they both are in good condition and are stamped DOT iam from the uk and aware of buying from a left hand drive vehicle which i cant see a problem can someone re-assure me.
i will post pics when i can.

thanks in advance

woz

·
Registered
2004 ML270CDi
14 Posts
Hi Woz

Afraid I've only got cold water to pour on your Xenons. I'm not sure but I thought that RHD headlights directed the light to the right where the kerb is and LHD to the left. Also under UK Construction and Use Regulations manufacturers have to install headlight washers and make the Xenons self adjusting because of the danger of dazzling oncoming traffic. That might mean there is a different mounting for Xenons. Sorry I can't give you practical help but I hope you can find a way round any problems as the Xenons are vastly superior.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
Retrofitting the self leveling is not practical. It can be done of course but it won’t be anything near reasonably priced. If you search you'll find that it involves sensors mounted to the body somewhere (axles I think).

I don’t think anyone’s retrofitted the washing system but I can’t imagine it’s that tough for a reasonable mechanic. Wouldn’t guess on the price for parts though.

All this being said, do they do a physical inspection to register or re-register you car there. If so then I don't see why you can't put the regular halogens on for inspections then swap the bix back afterwards. It's fast and easy and your headlight aiming remains unchanged (more or less).

There is definitely a strong bias to the right for where the lights are pointed but that’s been explored in other threads you’ve started. Since we’re mostly left hand drivers here you may end up being the guinea pig for any mods on that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
woz - 3/24/2005 7:03 PM
anybody have any more info please
This will not be a 5 minute installation as nobody else has any direct experience of this.

I suggest you start the job and then ask questions here and we will try and help.

I know there is enough adjustment available to direct the light appropriately when installed.

Search this forum with "bi-xenon upgrade wiring" (without the quotes) and you will find helpful posts.

Don't forget that finally you will have to go to a dealer to get him/her to update the AAM as otherwise the bi-xenons will flicker.

·
Registered
98ML320
1,278 Posts
marcelc - 3/23/2005 2:28 PM

I know there is enough adjustment available to direct the light appropriately when installed.

Don't forget that finally you will have to go to a dealer to get him/her to update the AAM as otherwise the bi-xenons will flicker.

His problem won't be adjusting the aim of the light but the specific light pattern which will be biased towards the right. He needs it biases to the left which will involve changes to the internal shield that shapes the top cutoff pattern of the lights. That may not be easy or possible without new parts. I guess that'll be for you to tell us. Course the other big problem will be seperating the lens cover from the housing in the back as it's glued together I understand.

Best of luck though. and take lots of pictures....

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,262 Posts
This will not be a 5 minute installation as nobody else has any direct experience of this. I suggest you start the job and then ask questions here and we will try and help.
Actually, it’s not much more than a 5-minute “installation� process as far as removing the existing headlamp assemblies and replacing them with the new ones. The problem will come with the “issues�, such as them not being aimed properly and not having the correct beam pattern for right-hand drive.

I doubt that all the adjustment in the world would compensate for using left-hand drive lights in a right-hand drive environment. The reason is that the beam patter is a mirror image: --/ --/ for left-hand drive vs. \-- \-- for right-hand drive.

Speaking of which, I have always wondered why this is the case. I know this is only an issue with MY2002+, because on the 1998-2001 models, you have to use an adapter cable, which somehow keeps this from happening. I wonder if you could rewire the MY2002+ connector so that it would eliminate the need to visit the dealer for AAM programming.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2004 ML270CDi
14 Posts
Isn't coincedence a strange thing. I had my ML in the dealers today for, among other things, them to replace my nearside Xenon. It wasn't until I went out in the dark that I dicovered that the new one was mis-aligned and aiming higher than the original. What happened to the self adjusting system? If a dealer can't get it right how much trouble are you going to have Woz?

·
Registered
497 Posts
The system is not self adjusting, it is self levelling.

There is plenty of adjustment, trust me, I have played with it more than enough to be certain; the 3 bolts which fix the lamp to the body are all adjustable and there is quite a large range of adjustment with the two 6mm hex screws within the lamp assembly itself.

·
Registered
w163 ml
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The units i bought are complete headlamps and i hope to replace the entire unit i must surely be able to adjust to satify.
if i remove the part numbers and then take to the dealer he would not be any wiser surely.
are the connections the same? and will i have a problem with the dealer programming?.
i do hope these are not a waste of money.
and surely haveing more light on the drivers side would not make a difference.
i cant see any diffrence now with halogens.
HELP Guys

Woz

Lytham St Annes, Blackpool

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,262 Posts
The units i bought are complete headlamps and i hope to replace the entire unit i must surely be able to adjust to satify.
if i remove the part numbers and then take to the dealer he would not be any wiser surely.
are the connections the same? and will i have a problem with the dealer programming?.
i do hope these are not a waste of money.
and surely haveing more light on the drivers side would not make a difference.
i cant see any diffrence now with halogens.
HELP Guys
Woz:

Since you have a 2002, you should already have the correct connectors, so the headlights should be “plug and play�. Here are some instructions that might help:

http://www.cars.*.net/Instructions/ENG691.asp

You will have two problems. First of all, you will require a visit to the dealer for AAM programming. Otherwise, they will “flicker�. I am not sure if you will have a problem with this or not. It will all be up to your dealer. If they know that these are not “legal� (which is your other problem), they may refuse to activate them.

Since your lights will be DOT spec instead of Euro spec, they will cast the wrong pattern. For vehicles driven on the right side of the road, the headlights cast a pattern that projects the light in a sloped pattern like this: ---/ It casts more light to the right shoulder of the road and less to he center of the road – thus less into the eyes of on coming drivers. Since you drive on the left side of the road, the ---/ pattern will cast a hot-spot of light right into the eyes of oncoming drivers, and give you very poor left shoulder illumination.

No amount of adjustment will compensate for this. You might be able to adjust them so that the hot-spot is not too annoying to oncoming drivers, but it will mean a sacrifice in overall distance of illumination.

Now, I don’t know if this is possible, or even if you’d want to try it, but it “might� be possible to somehow disassemble the projectors to reverse the beam pattern. Unless this really is an easy process (which I doubt), it does not seem it would be worth it, and if you break the lights, then you really did waste your money. My advice to you would be to see if you can get the sellers to cancel your orders. If not, then maybe you can sell the lights to a left-hand drive owner to recoup our money, and then get a set of right-hand drive spec headlights.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
w163 ml
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for reply.
inside the headlight there is a lever does anybody know what that is for i got told that this lever would convert from left hand drive to right hand side any views would be great.

many thanks as always

woz

·
Registered
497 Posts
woz - 3/26/2005 1:53 AM

thanks for reply.
inside the headlight there is a lever does anybody know what that is for i got told that this lever would convert from left hand drive to right hand side any views would be great.

many thanks as always

woz
I am confused about DOT and Euro, if your lights are American spec. then the dip is likely to be very much incorrect in the UK and unfixable, lever or not.

If the lights are European spec. then I believe that you will have little problem with the dip other than you will have to move the lever down which removes the raised portion of the dipped beam thus: __/-- becomes _____.

Suck it and see as my father used to say.

·
Registered
'02 ML 270 CDI
198 Posts
woz - 3/26/2005 2:53 AM

thanks for reply.

many thanks as always

woz
IIRC the lever inside the headlight assembly is exactly for easily adjusting the beam pattern for LHD cars that wander into RHD territory (and vice versa). It will either flip the beam pattern or (also possible) lower an extra shield in front of the existing shield that just blocks the hotspot.

You'll either go from:
Code:
   __    __<br>__/   to   \__ (best case) or
   __<br>__/   to _____ (worst case but still legal, I think).
If your lights are really DOT spec (i.e.: American), the insides of the side markers are amber, when they are EURO-spec they should be clear. DOT spec lights have the wrong beam pattern for Europe as well.

In Europe, headlight washers and self-levelling are compulsory for factory-installed Xenon lights. I don't know for sure if this is alose the case for after-market installs. Technical inspaction may or may not let you pass depending on how much they like you that particular day [8].

cheers,
Bram

·
Registered
w163 ml
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
these lights are now getting very confusing, should i fit or not any help would be great.
Thanks Forum

woz

·
Registered
99ML320 (retired) C230 530xi 911-C4
2,229 Posts
woz - 4/3/2005 4:10 PM

these lights are now getting very confusing, should i fit or not any help would be great.
Thanks Forum

woz
Woz, many of us have attempted mod / retrofit attempts over the years that simply were too complex for us individually to handle, or even with advice, figure it out. In my opinion, this is one of those cases.

We've all told you the German bixenons are illegal in the UK unless you are prepared and able to do many of the modifications, but it appears you are not prepared for this.

So if i were you I would ebay the German bixenons you have and buy yourself a set from the UK and make sure you have the appropriate adapter harness because if you are like me, re-wiring things can be real hard....

Otherwise you are throwing money down a pit, repeatedly, hoping for your desired outcome...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts