Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo Diesel
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 1982 300D Turbo Diesel with 152k miles for $2k, good deal or not?

The car has had 2 owners and always been garage kept except for the last 2 years. Guy lost his house and is now living in an apartment complex. The current owner hasn't had it registered for the last 3 years and therefore didn't used it. He warmed it up once every two weeks and took it for a 5 minute spin around the community. The car is as original as can be.

-The interior is pretty spotless except for the driver seat. No cracks no wear... none of the owners had children get into the car.
-The AC blows hot air (but it blows)
-There is some minor rust around the bottom edges, very minor
-engine and tranny are good
-original wheels
-paint needs wax & buff, it has that white powder on it (the car is a mild yellow)

Gave him $1500 and gun i own that he wanted... a H&K USP 9mm... brand new retails for about $850... its used so I settled for "$500".

Is this good or not assuming the price is $2000. Well, its too late to ask... check out the pics

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
I'd say you did OK. If you haven't done so already, you might want to take it to a Mercedes mechanic for a thorough checkup. Things like motor mounts, axle boots, front end components, brakes, etc should be examined. You can decide whether you want to fix the needed items or pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo Diesel
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as soon as I register it, that's the plan... i'm going to wait until after the holiday season. There's a great mechanic out here in central florida that only works on older Benz's... He said he's even willing to teach me to do a lot of the maintenance work.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz W126 500SEL &380SEL W116 280SE
75 Posts
I got a 79 (NA) not so long ago and had to replace an awful amount of suspension rubber, and I'm still not finished. I'm happy with the car and ones these "little" jobs are done she will drive again as a new Mercedes did.
I now have to find a tacho to fit because I believe she changes up far too late. Oh, and leather seats would be nice too, but for the rest I'm as happy as larry.
Hank

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Sounds like a steal. If the paint is all original, a good clay, buff polish and wax will make it look brand new.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Too bad there's that sore sight on the front right fender. Otherwise it looks like it has great potential to clean up nicely and restore it to its former glory!

Have fun with it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts