Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought this 2008 S550 because I didn't want the year to end without having a W221 S550. I've owned about 17 mercedes in the last 20 years, often four or five at a time, today I own four. Had W124s, W140, W220 along with R107 and W202, R129, R230, X164, R170, W163... probably others I can't remember! I think I really like this car a lot! I missed my W140 that's now owned by a friend, nothing in the world was that solid. This car feels more like a W140 than the W220. Although the dealer said it has new oil, I'll be changing the oil and some other things like air filters and spark plugs soon. So far I haven't found an option that this doesn't have! (It may not have massage seats, have to figure that out.) What a Car!!!! Happy New Year, everyone!

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,943 Posts
Congrats on your S550!! I agree that it feels much more like my previous W140, except it can get out of its own way! :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Konigstiger! How'd you know the VIN? With every drive, I like the car even more. I have records showing about 30K miles since new antifreeze, which was replaced at a local import service shop. However!! It is green. Is it even possible that they used wrong antifreeze? I hate looking in there to find green stuff! I'm trying to decide whether to get eight gallons of distilled water, do a drain & fill as many times as it takes until it's clear, then fill with Zerex G-05 (Peach color.) Maybe I'll go to that shop and ask them.
The only thing on the car that isn't working perfectly, is the CD player, won't read CDs.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I called the shop that records say did antifreeze change on Valentine's Day 2017, and they say they would use a blue antifreeze if I brought this car in there today. So I am going to assume that the green stuff is wrong, and go forward with the plan to drain and fill with distilled water several times to get rid of the green, and then refill with nice fresh Zerex G-05 Peach colored antifreeze. The last record of antifreeze for the car was 25K miles ago, so within a week or so it will be changed!! Nearly every time I buy a Mercedes, I discover something that previous maintenance people have done wrong! My GL450 SUV also had green coolant in it. Not any longer! Fun times.

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,430 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And that's a good thing!
Just did oil change and air filters the car is quite happy.
According to records spark plugs have been in there about 20K miles so new ones are on the way.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Blue!! I will either get Zerex G-48 or go to the Benz dealer and get a couple gallons of what they have. Thanks!! Oddly, my 2008 GL450 specified Zerex G-05 Peach color and it is nearly the same engine, M273.

·
Registered
18 Posts
welcome to the S class Group
I hope Your Car Doesnt Give You Much Trouble,
On My End My 08 S550 is Probably The Worst Car I ever Owned
I already Replaced The Starter , Left air strut , right air Strut, air compressor, motor mounts, suspension air valve body,radiator, serpentine pulley, extension tank reservoir , fuel pump , fuel filter, oil coolant seals , gas cap, magnetic solenoids, camshaft sesnors and i am now dealing with my transmission slipping on every gear.
I think Im Done With this Car.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
301 Posts
Have you attempted to play a DVD in the COMAND? How far does it get before giving up on the audio disc?

Thanks Konigstiger! How'd you know the VIN? With every drive, I like the car even more. I have records showing about 30K miles since new antifreeze, which was replaced at a local import service shop. However!! It is green. Is it even possible that they used wrong antifreeze? I hate looking in there to find green stuff! I'm trying to decide whether to get eight gallons of distilled water, do a drain & fill as many times as it takes until it's clear, then fill with Zerex G-05 (Peach color.) Maybe I'll go to that shop and ask them.
The only thing on the car that isn't working perfectly, is the CD player, won't read CDs.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When it tries to play a music CD, it just tries for a few seconds and says can't read CD. When it tries to play a DVD, it tries a few seconds the screen turns dark like it's about to begin but.... nothing. My guess is that either the laser quit, or there's a little rubber belt that the motor spins the disc with, and that has broken or stretched. The belt stretching is common for in-home CD changers that are around 15 years old, and cars sit out in the cold and hot weather, so are probably even more susceptible to this happening. The radio works fine, backup camera, nightview assist, A/C, windows, door locks, ...everything. Just discs won't play. I am using music CD bought in a store for use in regular CD players, (Rod Stewart and the Bee Gees) Haha. Maybe I should try some Van Halen!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
301 Posts
Some 5150 may solve all your problems!

Although I don’t expect any difference, perhaps try a MP3 Data CD/DVD just to see.
When it tries to play a music CD, it just tries for a few seconds and says can't read CD. When it tries to play a DVD, it tries a few seconds the screen turns dark like it's about to begin but.... nothing. My guess is that either the laser quit, or there's a little rubber belt that the motor spins the disc with, and that has broken or stretched. The belt stretching is common for in-home CD changers that are around 15 years old, and cars sit out in the cold and hot weather, so are probably even more susceptible to this happening. The radio works fine, backup camera, nightview assist, A/C, windows, door locks, ...everything. Just discs won't play. I am using music CD bought in a store for use in regular CD players, (Rod Stewart and the Bee Gees) Haha. Maybe I should try some Van Halen!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the CDs is a computer-made music CD although not a MP3, it's made to play in regular CD players, so I'll try to get a MP3 - CD and try that... Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts