Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to get hold of some 16" Lorinser RS90 wheels out here in South Africa. I'm so happy because the best looking SEC wheels imo (RS90, AERO 1, Penta) never seem to be for sale out here, unless they are knock-offs and then never with a workable offset. And the import duty to this country is something crazy like 35% on car parts, so importing them has not been an option for me either. I would have preferred the look of 17" tbh but beggars can't be choosers!

Anyway, so I now have 16X8J ET22 (front) and 16X8J ET11 (rear). My Gen 1 EURO 500 SEC has been lowered with H&R Springs and I am running Bilstein B8's at the front and the original SLS shocks at the back. I would be grateful for some advice about what tyre size to run with? I'm not too worried about the speedometer being accurate but are there other considerations that I should factor in?

This forum has been so helpful to me in the past that I want to ask here first before I take it to a so-called 'local professional'

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
39,636 Posts
I managed to get hold of some 16" Lorinser RS90 wheels out here in South Africa. I'm so happy because the best looking SEC wheels imo (RS90, AERO 1, Penta) never seem to be for sale out here, unless they are knock-offs and then never with a workable offset. And the import duty to this country is something crazy like 35% on car parts, so importing them has not been an option for me either. I would have preferred the look of 17" tbh but beggars can't be choosers!

Anyway, so I now have 16X8J ET22 (front) and 16X8J ET11 (rear). My Gen 1 EURO 500 SEC has been lowered with H&R Springs and I am running Bilstein B8's at the front and the original SLS shocks at the back. I would be grateful for some advice about what tyre size to run with? I'm not too worried about the speedometer being accurate but are there other considerations that I should factor in?

This forum has been so helpful to me in the past that I want to ask here first before I take it to a so-called 'local professional'
I have sets of four Lorinser RS80 8x16 Et11, and six RS90 8x16 Et22. On a lowered Gen1 SEC, going at speed over bumps, I had slight front fender rubbing with 225/55/16 tires with the 11 offset wheels (nothing rolling the fender lips wouldn't take care of) , no rubbing with the Et22. Even though the circumference of the 225/55/16 tires is closest to stock with negligible deviation on the speedometer, I personally like the look of 50's.
There are plenty of people here who have gone wider. Be aware that compared to North America cars, Euro cars (GenII) can have slightly wider fenders, and also that not all tires are created equal. I think one of the members (kodiakj2?) found differences of up to 10 mm in widths between brands.
Members KRH and AxelWulff have wider tires on their GenII SEC's, look for their posts. Otherwise, I doubt either would be offended by a forum message (now called 'Conversations' when you click your top right avatar).
Cheers.

Btw, as far as looks go, the earlier Lorinser 'LO's' are nothing to sneeze at.
I had 2 sets of Chrome AMG Aero I's 8x17 Et 11, and seeing a reflection in those AMG wheels get you a clown house mirror effect. That's why Aero I's should be silver paint or powder coat. Lorinser centers have a far better finish.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the excellent information!

So the wheels came with 225/55/16 on them. I was thinking that they were running OK at the front (ET22) but I got some rubbing this weekend when the car was fully loaded. It doesn't happen very often but it makes me nervous so I'm going to use 225/50/16 on the fronts as you suggested. I guess I'll be in for a harder ride though, which is a shame.

For the rears I am a bit stuck because I can only find 1 tyre for sale in South Africa at 245/50/16 and it is a budget tyre with quite scary reviews. The options out here are incredibly limited compared to the US. I have found some Continentals at 255/50/16 but is that too big for the rears do you think? I would need to buy the tyres in advance of fitting so your advice on this could really save me from making an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEC
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've also found a 245/55/16 if anyone has an opinion on that or the 255/50/16 I'd be grateful to hear it. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts