Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what's up everybody... I just purchased a 2002 ML55 with 145k miles yesterday! This makes my third Mercedes purchase, and they're all either AMG or AMG package cars. Here's a pic of it with my 2003 C32 AMG at the dealership where I picked up the ML (pictures below), and a pic of my 2006 E500 AMG Sport 4Matic as well.......

Anyway, I love the truck so far, and it comes with the (from what I understand) rare SuperSprint catback exhaust also! I just put new Continental tires on it today in the OEM 285/50/18 tire size.....

I have a couple questions....
1)The rear view mirror is loose (so is the plastic base where it mounts to the windshield, whats a common fix for that?
2)My automatic headlight switch isn't working as it should. When I switch to "auto" the headlights do not come on. I have to set the switch to "on".
3)When I have the ignition OFF but the headlight switch on, the dash lights turn on... But when I turn the ignition ON with the headlight switch on, the dash lights turn off. What could that be?
4)The headlight washers are not working. When I press the button, I hear what sounds like a relay click behind the dash but I don't see them spraying, I'm not even sure they raise... I'll check to confirm if they raise or not.

Thanks!

W163 and General M Gremlin
Please Complete your Profile by adding the year and models of your cars, so it will show next to every future post under your avatar.

Scan and see what codes have been saved. Post here.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey everyone鈥 2002 ML55 AMG here鈥 Just picked it up last week鈥

I鈥檝e been doing some research and it seems that the replacement suspension parts available for these trucks these days is dwindling, and therefore a lot of the parts available are for ALL W163 trucks, not just the ML55 (which has stiffer shocks etc from the factory).

That said, I got my truck up on the lift a few days ago and took a couple pics of the front shock and rear spring part numbers鈥. The first pic is of the front shock part numbers and the second pic is the part number on the rear springs鈥

Can anyone tell me if these are ML55 specific shocks/springs, or are the generic non-AMG parts that maybe the previous owner swapped in when the original suspension wore out?

Thank you!
Automotive tire Gas Tints and shades Cylinder Glass bottle
Product Automotive tire Font Material property Bumper
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

W163 and General M Gremlin
ML55 rear struts are stiffer and ride lower than the standard.
The rear struts for each year, model (engine size), options (such as ML270 CDI, ML320, ML430, ML500, ML55 / sport packages / tailgate spare wheel carrier) may have different spring ratings (coil) ratings (ie. color coded dots on the coils).

Community Search, at the top of the page
one example.

edit:
Optionally, depending on the state/condition of the rear springs, you could rebuild them.
Easy to do - just need to be mindful using a spring compressor.
I rebuilt mine on the ml500. to meet ML55 specs, via adjustable coilovers.

Registered
2003 C320 coupe, 2000 ML320
I maybe mistaken, but those look like aftermarket head light replacements (I've got the same ones on my ML. that's just to look at them).. Sounds like someone may have done a little re-wiring to get them to work.. or you got a problem with the AAM module..

Head lights, brake lights should work whether,.the car is running, on / off, key in the ign. or not... it's a safety thing...

Registered
1998 Franken-ML, 2002 ML55
I maybe mistaken, but those look like aftermarket head light replacements (I've got the same ones on my ML. that's just to look at them).. Sounds like someone may have done a little re-wiring to get them to work.. or you got a problem with the AAM module..

Head lights, brake lights should work whether,.the car is running, on / off, key in the ign. or not... it's a safety thing...
What looks aftermarket about them? They look like the regular post-facelift headlights.

Registered
1998 Franken-ML, 2002 ML55
ML55 rear struts are stiffer and ride lower than the standard.
The rear struts for each year, model (engine size), options (such as ML270 CDI, ML320, ML430, ML500, ML55 / sport packages / tailgate spare wheel carrier) may have different spring ratings (coil) ratings (ie. color coded dots on the coils).

Community Search, at the top of the page
one example.

edit:
Optionally, depending on the state/condition of the rear springs, you could rebuild them.
Easy to do - just need to be mindful using a spring compressor.
I rebuilt mine on the ml500. to meet ML55 specs, via adjustable coilovers.
It will have a Pink tag along with 3 paint marks.
Interesting...the Bilstein B6 springs have three paint marks like that on them. Are they intended to be ML55 spec springs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts