Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car. It's a 1980, with 83,000 miles on it..in good condition. I had been looking at a 1974, but was told steer clear of pre 1978 450SL or SLC because of the EFI system.

So I did. Just curious what the group's views on this particular car are....now that I've already purchased it.

What type of things do I have to look forward to in it? (Both positive & negative).

Also, as first time Mercedes owner, are there special instructions for gas (which type do I use), oil, etc.

Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
1979 450 slc
17 Posts
Congrats :) I have the same car and love it. to answer all your questions read all the posts in the 107 section of this forum . Head on over to www.sl107.com and also mercedesshop.com/shopforum, read all the posts in the sl/107 section, then look at http://forums.*.org/forums/ go to the 107 section.. read all the posts.. this might take a few days but you will learn ALOT. The timing chain is an issue to be aware of, do a search on < 107 timing chain >. These cars like to be maintained,find a good mech who knows mercedes (be suspicious if hes under 50) and get him to go over your car. Fix whatever needs to be done and you will have an awesome car that is reliable and alot of fun to drive. This could be expensive but there is loads of info and smart ppl on these forums to help you diy.
I use a premium unleaded fuel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts