Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Yidney and especially Rudeney for the extremely helpful replies to my last post.

I drove 200 mi to a dealer & purchased a 2008 clk (regular & not cabrio). I had a horrible dealer experience as their customer service sucked but unfortunately, they were the closest dealer to me w/a certified model of this type at a price point fitting my budget.

I purchased the car as they were closing & as luck would have it as soon as I pulled off the lot, the tire pressure warning light came on and the driver's rear tail light does not turn off even when key is removed from ignition. (both issues absent during 2 earlier test drives).

Because of my shady customer service experience and these early issues I'm not happy or secure with the investment I just made. I think I resolved the tire pressure issue today, but does anyone know what the tail light problem could be?

I'm taking it to a dealer in 2 days but this is a huge inconvenience having purchased the car last night. Thanks to Rudeney I got the sales mgr to put in writing that the balance shaft would be covered under their warranty should I have any problems.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,840 Posts
Make sure your headlight switch is in the "off" position (i.e. pointing straight up) and not in the far left "standing light" position. If that's not it, then since you bought a CPO car, any problems with the lighting system should be covered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rodney! The headlight switch was not in the correct position. I can now cancel my service appt.

The dealer who sold my car said a manual was inside, but I learned after getting home it was just the brochure, so unfortunately I'm still trying to figure things out on my own.

Do you know how to use the phone option or whether/how an ipod can be used in the car?

Thanks,

johnette

·
18,840 Posts
Turing on switch past off and activating the standing lights is a common mistake. Those two positions to the left of "off" are standing lights. The first detent will illuminate the right side park lights and the second detent (as far counter-clockwise as the switch will go) will illuminate the left side park lights. This is a European safety feature. Basically, when parking on the street, you turn on the outboard park lights so traffic can see your vehicle. I actually use it, and of course someone will always kindly let me know my lights are on.

As for the phone and iPod, both are available. Do you have a cell phone cradle in the center console? If so, then you either already have a Bluetooth puck installed, or can buy one for a few $100. If not, then you are looking at great expense to add the cell phone functionality ($800+). The factory (optional) iPod interface is about $200 and is a fairly easy DIY install. It only works on the MFD in the cluster, not the display on the NAV or radio unit. Still, it works well and is easy to use while driving. There are also aftermarket options that can add both BT and iPod in one unit.

Oh, and you can get the owenr's manul in PDF here:

MBUSA Website 2008 CLK Owner's Manual

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aftermarket vs factory

Rodney, thanks for clearing up the issue with my parking lights. That was very helpful. Also, thanks for the link for the manual.

I don't have a phone cradle and just have the extra cup holder in my console unfortunately. Forgive my newbie limited knowledge, but I'm not sure what "MFD in the cluster" is referring to with regard to where to control the ipod if I purchase that equipment. Also, $800 is really expensive, but I've also heard mixed reviews on whether installing aftermarket equipment was wise in light of the warranty. I definitely don't want to do anything that will void my warranty, but would really like the best option for bluetooth and phone (not sure if this is the same thing) functionality.

Any thoughts on the aftermarket equipment risks?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Regarding you tire pressure warning, you didnt say what you did to solve it - presumably added air - but just be aware that it is not uncommon for those systems to require recalibration sometimes. Mine used to come on now and then even with correct prsssure, but the delaer reset it and it has not come on since.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Do you know how to use the phone option or whether/how an ipod can be used in the car?
Did the PO have a phone? If so all the cabling/antenna etc is in place, and you will just need the right 'holder' to suit the phone that you use.

Regarding the iPhone interface, my understanding is that all CLKs after mid 2005 have this fitted as standard. The input socket is located inside your glove-box, on the side wall. If you have COMAND it is selected via the AUX input.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Regarding the iPhone interface, my understanding is that all CLKs after mid 2005 have this fitted as standard. The input socket is located inside your glove-box, on the side wall.
FWIW, my wife's 2006 CLK500 convertible does not have this iPod adapter in the glove box. Only the 6 disc CD changer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Yidney, Adding air did the trick as u mentioned. I didn't like seeing an error light as soon as I pulled off the sales lot but I was glad to see it was an easy fix. However, that's great info u provided about the dealer reset...i'll remember that should I start getting that error again. This is why I love this forum :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did the PO have a phone? If so all the cabling/antenna etc is in place, and you will just need the right 'holder' to suit the phone that you use.

Regarding the iPhone interface, my understanding is that all CLKs after mid 2005 have this fitted as standard. The input socket is located inside your glove-box, on the side wall. If you have COMAND it is selected via the AUX input.
Thanks keyhole and sorry for my silly question but what's a PO phone? I will check for that input socket also that u referred to.

·
18,840 Posts
Most W209's came with "cell phone prewiring" which means little do nothing when it comes to installing a phone. Basically, it's two pieces of cable in the center console. The real cost of adding the phone interface is the puck in the center console and the digital interface and that costs around $800 or more. Aftermarket solutions can add Bluetooth and iPod without the OEM phone parts. It won't void your warranty -these are well-built and properly designed electronics. Check out Cartronics.com.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most W209's came with "cell phone prewiring" which means little do nothing when it comes to installing a phone. Basically, it's two pieces of cable in the center console. The real cost of adding the phone interface is the puck in the center console and the digital interface and that costs around $800 or more. Aftermarket solutions can add Bluetooth and iPod without the OEM phone parts. It won't void your warranty -these are well-built and properly designed electronics. Check out Cartronics.com.
Hi Rodney,

I've been looking at the cartronics site and love it. I can't really tell if I have a puck or not but here is a picture of my center console. Can you tell me from looking which solution I need for phone and ipod capability?

Thanks in advance

Johnette

Attachments

·
18,840 Posts
Nope, no puck. All you have is the "prewiring" which means you have about $100 worth of the $800 of parts needed for the factory phone solution. Cartronics is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats on the new MB. After you get the bugs worked out you'll love your purchase. Sorry to hear you had a bad dealer experience. If you don't like the Service Advisor use a different one until you find one you are comfortable working with. Usually the salesmen are the nicest because they are trying to sell you something.

Take it from my experience, get the Cartronics device. I have one and it works awesome. I can use the phone just like MB designed. The bluetooth and Ipod also work great.

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Thanks keyhole and sorry for my silly question but what's a PO phone?
I should have written 'Previous Owner'....:)

In my own case, the original owner had ordered the car with factory-fitted prewiring. That meant that the antenna and wiring are all supplied, just needing the phone/cradle to be added.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts