Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 S500,
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to Mercedes ownership and brand new to this Mercedes forum!!
I just bought a 1999 CLK230K from a good friend for very cheap with 116k miles.

She has a few problems that need addressing I dont want expensive diagnosic fees from car shop. Here goes...

1) an annoying rattle when the car pulls away from a stop and when going slower than walking speed, when the car comes to a complete stop the noise ceases!! (making it difficult to pin piont what is rattling)! Seems to be coming from by the air box on the left hand side of engine in front of cooland tank.

2) asr/bas light permanently illuminated, it has been -10 here where I live and the asr not working (by the way this car is awful in snow/icey roads)! The car just spins with no warning triangle light at centre of speedo, the button does nothing. I have seen on here about brake light switch on brake pedal but the brake lights work?? if someone cound illaborate!

3) I have 1 plastic electronic key fob which is looking worse for wear with holes on button exposing innards! where do i cheaply buy another and programme it?

4) The sound system is awful! it has 8 speakers but sounds really muffles no matter what I do with settings

5) Fuel consumption round town is 19mpg (this can't be right)

Please tell me what to look out for and which bits need greasing/maintaining to preserve its life! Its really comfortable to drive, fast, turns heads but i am having doubs about my old Mercedes!!

Many thanks I will appreciate any help!

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
1999 CLK230K 116k miles.

1) an annoying rattle >> 90% chance it's the catalytic converter ($1000-$1500).
2) asr/bas light permanently illuminated, brake light switch ...but the brake lights work?? if someone cound illaborate! >> there are 2 "switches" inside brake light switch. It's the one for asr/bas that always broke.

3) 1 plastic electronic key fob ... where do i cheaply buy another and programme it? >> At MB dealer only. $271 including sales tax.

4) The sound system is awful! it has 8 speakers but sounds really muffles no matter what I do with settings >> What sound awful? CD or radio, AM or FM or weather band? What settings? Bass/treble/fader?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 1998 CLK230 K , 4 speaker on the door panel screwed, the workshop said is normal for this car as well as the power seat switch, so i changed the speakers and sound well. FYI

1 - 4 of 4 Posts