Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I changed my transmission filter in my 1999 ML320(260K) .The fluid was dark almost black but the pan had very few pieces in it and they were all very small.It had maybe 3 metallic parts each about 1/2 grain of rice size or less. I measured the fluid I removed and got about 4.5L of old fluid. I lost about 2 cups when I removed the filter and got some dumped in my hair. The fluid did not have a bad smell. I'm not sure if it was a good conditioner for my hair.:D

The fluid I removed was at operating temp.I proceeded to add in 4L after I put the new filter & gasket in and torqued everything down. I figured I'd have to top it up a bit.To my surprise it registered as a bit overfilled on my dipstick.The only thing I can think of is I dumped out hot fluid and replaced it with room temp fluid.I'm now in the process of removing fluid with my evacuator to get it at the proper level. The only thing I can think of is the different temps of the old & new fluid. I'm not sure ow much the fluid expands when it's hot.Also, When I checked my fluid after recently acquiring a proper dipstick it seemed to register slightly over filled. We don't drive it much at all maybe 10K(km) in the last year.

I'm wondering if I've missed anything or if this is normal or not.I'm not panicking but I'm curious if I've deviated from the designated path. Often you learn good things by making mistakes, hopefully small ones.

thanks

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link.I think what I most got out of it was that it's doesn't take much ATF to make a fairly large change in level. According the the example 10L of ATF becomes almost 10.5L when hot.So let's say 0.1L per 2L of ATF when at temp. So if I added 4L of cold ATF that translates to 4.2L when hot.I'm now under the 2 hot marks by about 1/4" so I added 100ml of fluid and will check it soon.I'll wait for all the fluid to drain to the pan. I think my problem started when I drained the ATF when it was hot.Next time I won't bother.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts