Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Unimog 1250L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's an update of what I have going on. I got the portal completely taken off and cleaned up. Nothing survived other than the case itself...... pretty much toasted itself. But at my school they have a sand blaster and we took off the multiple coats of paint off the outside of the case. It used to be green then a few different shades of black. haha. But it showed us that the case was in good shape. Also, is that little cord dangling my speed sensor? Would an owners manual have all the wiring diagrams?

The other part of this is that I have been doing a ton of reading on the rear parking brake on this thread. I've read of two ways to identify your brake brand from yarr and someone else I think. The problem is mine is painted over, and there is no sign of a boot on the side I need to fix. How do I figure out which brand I have. Wabco, bosch or the other? I put a picture of both sides on here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
U1000Ag
2,372 Posts
Wow ! is all you can say about that gear.....
3-ton jack ? I would be very nervous - hopefully you have some jack-stands in there as a back-up ?

·
Registered
1991 Unimog 1250L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One 3 ton jack and one 3 ton stand. It's all I have when you're away from home in college haha. I'm running on a limited amount of tools and time. Just trying to get stuff done in between classes and school work.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,825 Posts
I feel like there should be more teeth on those gears.

·
Registered
1988 U1300L RW1 Working gears Dual Tanks AC Rigged for Camping Plus: 91 F250 HD 4x4
239 Posts
there is no sign of a boot on the side I need to fix. How do I figure out which brand I have. Wabco, bosch or the other? I put a picture of both sides on her
This looks more or less normal and okay:

This is missing more than the boot:

Need more info. Is this the condition in which you got the truck? The emergency release collar/ linkage to the lever on the caliper is missing here. Open up the boot on the good side, and you should see the complete assembly.

The missing collar slides on the rod with the groove in it, which is shown here dangling in space and rusted to beat all. My guess is that you will need to replace the entire spring brake cylinder, with emergency release collar and boot. This begs the question, why is this missing??? stuck hand brake, mechanical damage?? Are there issues at the caliper; lever, body, pad?

Brakes are not something to trifle with, see ursulnatour's thread:
Brake Problem in Chile

Lee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts