Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my low oil extravaganza, my engine has not been happy on cold mornings. It produces a sound that I would categorize as a knock (I'm not positive what a "knock" sounds like in an engine, seeing as I'm new to cars) when accelerated (while the engine is cold). The sound goes away when the car warms up completely and drives fine. I've adjusted the valves, installed a new timing chain, and timed the injector pump. I did a compression test after all this work, and my numbers were as follows: 400, 360, 320, 380. I know the seperation btwn 320 and 400 isn't the best.. I will post videos of this sound in the next few days (gonna take one with the sound and a seperate with the engine warmed up). I'd like to know what it is and if it's something to be worried about.

However, I've had thoughts of swapping a 300D (or TD) engine into my 240D. How much retrofitting needs to be done for this conversion? Has anyone had experience with it? Any suggestions? My car is a manual transmission. If I find an automatic 300D (or TD) engine, can I use my 240 tranny? Will I just need a new fly wheel?

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys - ya'll are always so helpful

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,075 Posts
Funny, I'm looking at doing something similar with an OM617 from a crusty '80 300SD.

Will know more later this week about the feasibility...but I'd use the slushbox.

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds great! I'm gonna look into it a bit too. Let me know what ya find out 81126.

I'm accepting donor engines if anyone's feeling the holiday spirit :)

Also - If anyone is interested in embarking on this project with me that lives in NE, I'll buy the beers.

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
You'll need a flywheel for the manual transmission, that needs to be balanced in the same way as the old automatic flywheel.

Also you might like an other differential (3.46 or 3.07).

If the 240D has a Getrag manual, it might not last as long. The 300D manual always had the ZF manual transmission.

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could hopefully get the differential off a 300D if I get one in decent shape. As far as the manual trans goes, isn't it REAL hard to find 300Ds in manual in the states? From what I understand, that was just a euro car. I'll have to look into it tho. Seems like it might be a bit of a project... replacing the trans and diff AS WELL as the engine, isn't a walk in the park.

·
Registered
1979 240D 4 spd
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also - are there any major structural differences between the 617.912 and the 617.952? I figure if I'm gonna delve into this, might as well do the 952 due to the power upgrade (as long as it's not a ridiculously more amount of work).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts