Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That other party was my daughter. :|

Last night at a family neighborhood gathering, (after a few bottles or vino and nightcaps too), the topic of the new MB Suv EQC was brought up
and of course, one of the neighbors, who owns a Nissan Leaf (written off, presently sitting in her garage) talked about how the insurance company was low-balling
her on the payout for her EV. SO there it sits until it gets settled.
The conversation eventually moved into the direction of "hey, maybe I should convert my suv into electric, dad!"
Rolled my eyes, telling her "You just got this beauty...."

This early morning, I find the family imac at the family desk with a browser open on multiple pages for EV conversions.....
hummm..... daughter nowhere to be found (these younger kids....)
Looked and read thru some of the "pages" she left opened. (that was her hint to me....)
Now after a few hours, she's got me thinking about it.
Dang it.

What are your thoughts, guys?
Is this something to consider? fun project or not?
Off the top of my head, Im more concerned about battery placement and controllers.
(and note; I did leave a message with my neighbor and her Leaf....)

·
Registered
410 Posts
The guy I work for bought himself a Tesla.. He was all gung-ho about when he first got it.. after about 6 months dealing with the batteries having to be recharged.. he's back driving his F-150 for the most part...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Too much wine?

No really my first thought was weight. But the equ weighs 5300 pounds, if she has the Ml I forget it is about 4600 pounds. minus engine you have about 1000 pounds to play with.

But how to do it? Is she an mech engineer student make a great senior project!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nova did a great special on cars, Batteries will get better, at the end of the episode they showed research in graphite. Yes pencil lead, the trick is getting it to 1 molecule thick. At that point it is extremely efficient, There thinking is all exterior panels become a battery.

I will check I think that part was in an episode, I posted a link to earlier.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too much wine?

No really my first thought was weight. But the equ weighs 5300 pounds, if she has the Ml I forget it is about 4600 pounds. minus engine you have about 1000 pounds to play with.

But how to do it? Is she an mech engineer student make a great senior project!
Electrical Engineer :)

Her biggest hurdles - weight of the ml430 plus load / battery pak costs, hence why I asked my neighbor about her written off Leaf. She's going to need a few of those packs for some decent driving range in the ML.
They arent cheap so this may be the deciding factor for her.
She can handle the rest - controllers, electrical, etc.
I'll take care of any (metal work) fabricating, and cnc work at my colleagues shop.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about a Propane / LP gas conversion.. Much, much easier to do and will cost you way much less...
nope. These young kids are into the electric / environmental movement. Hence, her studies in electrical

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
I think if you were going to do that buy a car from the wreckers. I heard MB are spending 20 billion on EV batteries. Personally here in Australia we are not ready for electric cars. The ML 163 is way to heavy to do that. Get an empty wheel borrow and push it up a hill. Then fill it with dirt and do the same thing. That’s what your batteries and electric motor will be up against. “Weight will stop a train”.
I don’t doubt that you could probably do it but the expense for the results would be a waste.
Apologies for not encouraging such a project.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think if you were going to do that buy a car from the wreckers. I heard MB are spending 20 billion on EV batteries. Personally here in Australia we are not ready for electric cars. The ML 163 is way to heavy to do that. Get an empty wheel borrow and push it up a hill. Then fill it with dirt and do the same thing. That’s what your batteries and electric motor will be up against. “Weight will stop a train”.
I don’t doubt that you could probably do it but the expense for the results would be a waste.
Apologies for not encouraging such a project.
None needed.

It's her project. She can do her own research and figure things out. ; )
I'm just along for the ride so to speak if she goes down this path.
She's a city driver, not a long distance commuter (like us).

It's been done on an older Range Rover, Tesla X weighs more than her ML.... the battery packs cost a fortune.

Let's she what she comes up with.

If she goes down this rabbit hole, I'm keeping the motor. :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Electrical Engineer :)

Her biggest hurdles - weight of the ml430 plus load / battery pak costs, hence why I asked my neighbor about her written off Leaf.
What is the issue with the leaf? The dealer here could hardly sell them. ran specials month after month after month on the same car.

I knowthe range is shit. Battery packs?

·
Registered
398 Posts
nope. These young kids are into the electric / environmental movement. Hence, her studies in electrical
You know it may be the next biggest industry. Instead of manufacturing a whole car ground up. Rebuilding refurbish existing cars into electric Vehicles. Most folks give up a car because it is totaled or engine transmission failure. Pick several cars. Well made body and design a electric rebuild package.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is the issue with the leaf? The dealer here could hardly sell them. ran specials month after month after month on the same car.

I knowthe range is shit. Battery packs?
It was written off but the insurance company low-balled her on the value.
Ive got my bodyshop friend calling her Monday - he looks for these Leaf's for parts. It's a very popular ev up here.

You know it may be the next biggest industry. Instead of manufacturing a whole car ground up. Rebuilding refurbish existing cars into electric Vehicles. Most folks give up a car because it is totaled or engine transmission failure. Pick several cars. Well made body and design a electric rebuild package.
Already happening, especially with gas to ev conversions, similar to the propane conversions a few years back - (gas is NOT cheap here - presently $5.68/gal ).

Here's a clip of a video she pulled for me this afternoon and labelled for me, on the battery pack evolution.

Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 1.09.30 PM.png

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ive got my bodyshop friend calling her Monday - he looks for these Leaf's for parts. It's a very popular ev up here.

What's the problem... does she owe more that the book value on the car?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

What's the problem... does she owe more that the book value on the car?
Have no idea, Im not her agent...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Interesting topic. I'm with Matt in Austrialia. They're not ready for electric cars - nor are they alone.

Nobody in the world is, in actuality, due to the fact that power grid can't handle - wasn't designed to handle the additional load of amps that will be added to each home or business to grid connection point, from all the formerly gasoline produced power NOT used.

Like its the most obvious shortcoming but clueless, ideologically driven media, aided by government grants to ideas that lack merit or practicality + mandates upon auto manufacturers to support goofy ideas enforced by well intended but clueless legislators.

I get a kick out of these back & forths - so many are going on theory - so few on actual knowledge from actual experience.

In 1997 I funded & built my own 'off grid' Solar / Wind & Diesel alternative energy system. It was fun, really cool, expensive, super custom and NOT ECONOMICALLY efficient.

I did it for satisfaction - I had a great year then & rather than go buy a new Mercedes, I built it - the only hiring I did was for a commercial electrician to oversee my AC hookups & a welder to weld up high on the Wind generator supports.

{I weld poorly at ground level. 30' up & I'm even worse !)

I bring that up not to brag but just to say it's amazing what kinds of 'experimentation in foolishnes' / silly devices (Nissan Leaf ? Tesla ?) occur when expensive experiements are conducted with OtherPeoplesMoney + government mandates.

I spent ALL MY $$$ on our off grid system and did live with the system using it 3-4 days weekly for 10 years. I could write a book about the whole experience. I still have a couple of small 'standby' systems for electrical power in our latest residence, more affordable versions that back us up in key ways, but don't try to replace the Grid.

I do think the most practical experession of a daily 'eco-friendly' vehicle would be to buy a clean used 'dead battery pack' Prius, and then renew the pack yourself with a DIY affordable kit & enjoy driving your $5000 USD Prius while idiots are paying $ 35-90 Grand for some less practical 'eco-mobile'.

There's a cool Youtube where Hoovies Garage does just that and shows how. Pretty great way to get probably the best engineered Hybrid car without loosing your shirt & under your own steam - no government grants or mandates needed.

An EV ML sounds cool, but sadly the physics are all against it being viable...you'd have a super short range AND / OR have to chuck out doors, interior bits, basically skeletonize it just to bring weight down...no longer an ML at that point.

David in Texas

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Spoken so well and true Dave.
The amount of coal burnt to charge an electric car would probably outweigh the emissions given off by a normal clean car these days anyway. It’s all bullshit!!!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting topic. I'm with Matt in Austrialia. They're not ready for electric cars - nor are they alone.
An EV ML sounds cool, but sadly the physics are all against it being viable...you'd have a super short range AND / OR have to chuck out doors, interior bits, basically skeletonize it just to bring weight down...no longer an ML at that point.

David in Texas
Appreciate your comments David.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
The amount of coal burnt to charge an electric car would probably outweigh the emissions given off by a normal clean car these days anyway. It’s all bullshit!!!
Yes, but aren’t we working towards solar energy? Charging our cars using panels on our roof?

We’ll probably need a lot of roofs to power one car.

As for the EV conversion, belongs in the same category as the turbo conversion. For the dreamers.

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
Yes, but aren’t we working towards solar energy? Charging our cars using panels on our roof?

We’ll probably need a lot of roofs to power one car.

As for the EV conversion, belongs in the same category as the turbo conversion. For the dreamers.
Yer I have 33 panels on my shed roof and it has definitely cut my power bill considerably but I don’t think it would charge 2 cars as well at the end of the day. I work from home so I gobble up most of the power during the day. I need the sound of a V8 in my life.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yer I have 33 panels on my shed roof and it has definitely cut my power bill considerably but I don’t think it would charge 2 cars as well at the end of the day. I work from home so I gobble up most of the power during the day. I need the sound of a V8 in my life.
Last time I checked, the grid was 12 cents a kilowatt hour where I live.. The lowest panel cost I could come up with is around $.75 a watt.... ( that doesn't include the batteries or inverter).. With a little rough math.. 6,250 hours of power delivery before a break even on 1KW worth of panels .. 1KW ?... Maybe could run a small microwave oven... a hair drier on "low".. With approx. cost of all the other goodies.. I was guessing 10 years before it would be a good investment.. Why hell, we'll all be dead 12 years..( climate change).. so why bother.. Matt, did you ever do a "cost recovery analysis"on your 33 panel system ?...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts