Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents:

I just found a perfect dash in the junkyard for $200 for my 2001 E320 wagon. The odometer has yet to hit 50k on my wagon, but sadly, the previous owner kept it parked outside here in the Florida sun and thus the dash has 4 or 5 ugly fault lines running through it that greatly compromise the integrity & panache of the marque. Mercedes wants (yikes) $1600 for a new dash, but is it penny-wise & dollar-foolish to replace my 10-year-old dash with another 10-year-old dash? Paying a mechanic for 8 hours of labor to install a junkyard dash only to watch it crack in a few months would be a fairly cheerless event.

Anyone been down this road before?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
If the junk yard one is not cracked, and you were to look after it, then I would go for it. We don't have this problem over here.:)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The upper dash cover will most likely crack over time due to thermal stresses. you may be able to delay it by babying and garaging it, but don't be surprised if it cracks after awhile.
Of course, you could move to the UK ;)

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
I bought a used E430 that spent part of it's life in FL and it had 3 ugly, but not too bad, dashboard cracks that I ignored. This seems to be a common problem with the W210. In your case I would be tempted to replace it then buy a windshield sunscreen to protect your investment. Dealers sell them for less than $100.

·
Registered
227 Posts
and who is to say the $1600 from mercedes won't crack just after the warranty expired?, if there is going to be one.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Eight hours of labor for putting in a used dash? I would think twice because something else may break during the R/R work.

To me, unless your dash is realy bad, long ugly cracks then it's worth spending a few hundred on. Otherwise, you can used some patch from HomeDepot and it does look OK.

If you are going to replace it, make sure you have a dash cover on it every time parking in the sun. Best if you can find a shade and walk a little further - you both will benefit from it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello, and thanks for all of the responses. The cracks are long, wide, and ugly; something must be done. The gent offering the used dash to me says it's out of a 2000 model E55 AMG, and claims that this is the same dash that my 2000 E320 wagon calls for. Can anyone confirm that this info is correct...?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts