Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at all the stickys and searched but couldn't quite find what I needed.

Last month I had a new tranny put in my 95 320. The battery was dead when I p[icked it up and the ESP and some other light right next to it was on and the top would only go up halfway then stop. I took it to MB and they reset something and charged me one hundred somewthing dollars and all worked perfect since.

OK, today I let a friend use it in the Mardi Gras parade, so I removed the hardtop last night when I gave him the car and put the softtop up with no problem. He said this morning the top went down with no problem but when he brought the car back the top would only go halfway and the rollbar light on dash was lit and the ESP and other light was on. I think he must have ran the battery down and jumped the car. My question is is there a way to reste the whole system myself without having to bring it to the dealership?

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 500SL, 2001 Jaguar XJR
346 Posts
You may be able to do it by just disconnecting the battery, but I would wait for posts for more experinced members to be sure.
I would also try a search on Jumpstarting or resetting if you have not yet..

Matt

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,027 Posts
I am thinking the soft top needs to be reset. Read below very helpful information.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1292124-how-reset-my-convertible-top.html?highlight=resetting+system

Also it should be in the manual. There are numerous systems that need resetting once the battery goes dead.

Also for jump starting look here. Lots of helpful information.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1269659-dead-battery-how-jump-start.html?highlight=jumpstart

ANOTHER jag owner. We are coming out of the woodwork!

Laissez les bon temps roulet!!!

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,197 Posts
Lets all hope there is a quick cure for your car, read the sticky thread about jump starting at the top of the page. Your friend could have have fried the top or other ECU`s $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Go through the top sync sequence and maybe you will be lucky. Lower and raise the windows simultaneously a couple of times and also turn steering lock to lock. Check fuses for windows in trunk/boot. Good luck.

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
My question is is there a way to reste the whole system myself without having to bring it to the dealership?
No, your soft top controller needs another reset. Your battery probably needs replacing so I would make that decision before I paid for another reset.

BTW, you need to be very carefull when jumping the car so that you don't FRY the 'soft top controller' module or any other system electronics. This has been know to happen on numerous other R129's and you will be shocked at how much it could end up costing you if it happens.

Note: It has been suggested that you put a piece of duct tape on your battery with a label that says, "Do not Jump Start or Charge this battery without first contacting the owner."

Please read What to do with an R129 dead battery

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
Note: It has been suggested that you put a piece of duct tape on your battery with a label that says, "Do not Jump Start or Charge this battery without first contacting the owner."

Not jump starting an R1129 is so important, maybe a nice tatoo someplace would also help!:D

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,181 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because your car is older than a '96 you can do this yourself. Because your car is newer than '93 you'll need an LED from Radio Shack connected to socket #21 of your car's diagnostic connector. It's all explained here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1266535-diagnostics-sl-pre-94-a.html?
You're right, they checked the codes and found out it was the brake light fuse, cost me 97.52
Told me I should have went to AutoZone, told me next time don't be scared cuz its a Benz.

·
Registered
95 sl500, AMG - F/R Brakes, Exhaust, Wheels. RennTech - ECU, CF Airbox. H&R Sport Springs. K&N
1,027 Posts
That is great news. Nothing bank breaking

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
No, your soft top controller needs another reset. Your battery probably needs replacing so I would make that decision before I paid for another reset.

BTW, you need to be very carefull when jumping the car so that you don't FRY the 'soft top controller' module or any other system electronics. This has been know to happen on numerous other R129's and you will be shocked at how much it could end up costing you if it happens.

Please read What to do with an R129 dead battery
That's a good idea. I think I'm guna slap that message on my battery when I get home later.

FWIW, I had issues with my BMW 740 from jump-starting it too...the resistors for the automatic windshield wiper delay function fried themselves during a jump start. I had left the wiper stalk in the delay position when I turned the car off...then I had to get it jumped to take it to the dealer b/c I came out 2 or 3 days later to find the battery had gone kaput. The dealer showed me a chunk of a little board/card thing and some wiring later...it was all black and fried.

They told me that if the battery was too discharged to crank the car, to have it towed or disconnect it before charging, and that if the battery went bad to call the dealer and have the parts runner charge up a new battery and bring it out to me (they will do that), or just have the car towed in. Apparently jump-starting is some huge no-no, and they saw problems like that a lot.

I thought at the time it was just BMWs, but apparently it's Benz too. That stupid BMW battery looked like it could power the starship enterprise and cost $300+...it was massive, and had an LED light or something under a glass window that was hooked up to some monitor doohickey, and you could look in the little window and green meant ok and if it was red meant you had to replace it. I haven't seen the one in the SL yet, I am kind of interested now that you got me thinking about it...wonder when it was last replaced?

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
One more thing...

When stuff like that happens, why aren't the fuses popping to protect the electronics? Isn't that what they're for?

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,181 Posts
When stuff like that happens, why aren't the fuses popping to protect the electronics? Isn't that what they're for?
The electronics become damaged by excessive voltage. Fuses limit current --not voltage -- and their main purpose is to protect the vehicle wiring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts