Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe? Ones a diesel (1998), the dead car is a gasoline(1994)...

Where should I look out for? In a w203, there's a clamp in the engine bay to jumpstart it, but it's different in a w202...

Attach cables, start the donor car and the start the dead car?
Or
Start donor, attach cables & start dead car?

Will it help if i rev the donor high?

Hmmm...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Jumping

It makes no differance except if you were trying to start the Diesel you would want to wait a lot longer to let the battery charge a bit. Your first choice is fine. This way you are not taking a chance on harming the Alternator. Let it sit for a few minutes with the engine of the donor car running around 1200 rpm is about ideal.

The W202 model has a battery jump post as well on top of the left fender well, under a little box with an X on top. Ground to another part of the engine.

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

C as in 220

·
Registered
672 Posts
The W202 model has a battery jump post as well on top of the left fender well, under a little box with an X on top. Ground to another part of the engine.

C as in 220
Thats interesting! I ever knew you could jumpstart a W202 from the front? (since the battery is in the back) So you just remove the box with the X on it, and ground it with another part of the engine?
great info as always CJ! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice. :thumbsup:

I guess the dead car needs a new battery, or can i try to top up the water?
What goes in batteries anyways? Rainwater? Distilled (or what's the spelling) water? Something else?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Distilled Water

You should use distilled water if you want to preserve the Battery. You can use whatever you have, if it's an emergency. Some places you can even buy replacement sufuric acid if you want to try to rejuvinate it. Usually they are just replaced these days.

Make sure you get in there with some baking soda and water mixture and neutralize the acid that is no doubt all over around the Battery. It will eventually eat holes right through the trunk.:eek: Re-apply the Baking Soda water mix with a paint brush (a liquid paste is good) until it does not foam up anymore. Flush with water and sop up the water with paper towels. Watch your eyes and wear gloves while doing all this. Then make sure you have the battery drain hoses (Probably 2) back on before you close it up.

C as in 220

1 - 6 of 6 Posts