Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts

·
Registered
1978 450 SLC, 1993 S600, 1995 300E 4matic, 1992 190E 2.3, 1987 190E 2.3-16, 2010 Landrover Discovery
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It is disrespectful to your Mercedes to jump start another vehicle and it is equally disrespectful to have your Mercedes jump started. Just get a new battery.
My friend needed his car right away so i had to ask because i didn't know if i wold blow my relay... and then i remembered i had a rechargeable battery thing and just used that so i did not end up jumpstarting that car with my 201. the only time i had to jumpstart a car with my 201 is when i was over another friends house and his battery was dead. its not that we like to jumpstart poeples cars it is a thing we have to do from time to time and he just bought a new battery for his car but he left his park light on over night, so i don't think he is going to waste time and money to go buy another new battery. My apologies if i sound rude it is not intentional.
,James

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,094 Posts
I started by attempting to multi quote at least 4 posts above but gave up.
I will just say that there is much mis-information in many of the posts above.
Where do you guys get this information??????
Mike

·
Registered
210 Posts
im an electrical engineer. im waiting on nutjob to chime in hes a professor in electrical engineering. like i said the amperage on the alt would matter more then the engine size. ive talked to my indy and they told me they never heard of it either.
My father was a mechanical engineer and had his bachelors degree in engineering from M.I.T. and his masters degree in engineering from the University of Miami, 2 of the best engineering schools in the world. He was a member of the Society of Automotive engineers and Manager of Aviation Techical Service for Mobil. I would follow his recommendations without question. He certainly had the ears of training and experience to make such recommendations. You're taking a terrible risk doing what you're doing. I guess you'll have to damage your car to get the message.

I have one on the way it should be here next week sometime i tried to get next day shipping or expedited but they didn't offer it and Like you said do keep cranking and cranking the engine what i mean by that is that i have to keep turning the key back and fourth every couple of minutes i don't just keep going and going i would have to have my starter burn out but still would i be okay if i removed the relay until i got the new one as long as i don't jump start my car? also will everything be back to how it was if i took the relay out? ie: easy starting, no rough idle, abs light? (i have heard the light stays on if you remove the ovp?) Thanks, Jacob
If it was my car, I would err on the side of caution and park it until I got the new ovp

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
If it was my car, I would err on the side of caution and park it until I got the new ovp
Yeah good idea i don't want to break my car. i will just have to use my volvo then...
watch my 201 get jealous and not work.....:crybaby2:

·
IR MODERATOR
1996 Volvo 855GLT, 1993 MB 190e 2.3 8v, 1998 Subaru Outback SUS, 1991 BMW 525, 1998 MB C230
9,228 Posts
i read the owners manual last night and it says to its safe on either end. if the mercedes is jumping the dead car make sure the mercedes is revved before starting the dead car. from what i read pre 95 cars have no issues jumping.

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 Auto
83 Posts
From my experience the car that it's live never should be running. So the alternator factor is out of the equation this way.

Now it's juts charged battery vs dead battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If i were to jumpstart another vehicle with my 201 would it blow my relay? or is that only when someone tries to jump start my car? please help i have another car that needs to be jumped and i don't know what will happen. again please help
I jumpstarted my daughter's car now my 2011 Mercedes 300 c wont start any clue what it might be

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,958 Posts
I jumpstarted my daughter's car now my 2011 Mercedes 300 c wont start any clue what it might be
Hopefully you didn't fry any computers/relays.
What exactly does you car actually do now?

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,392 Posts
Definitely sounds like some sort of computer/relay issue. I would think that the car should be hooked up to the MB star diagnostic system
You might want to post your W204 section, as they would know more what to do.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts