Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help....

Is there any way to jumpstart or charge a dead battery on a 1992 500sel besides from the trunk/boot?

I cant open the trunk!

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
In oder of convenience, get a charger that plugs into the cigarette lighter, of course turn on ignition since it is switched. There is a junction in the front passenger compartment, but you need to remove panels next to the trans. You could get under the car remove the panel and find the solenoid. The red A+ cable runs along the passenger side sill, make your choice and fix the lock. Have you tried the key and taken the lock out of the valet position, turn 90 degrees and push the button.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, so does that mean i can jump start from panel next to the trans, Will i find an obvious point of contact?, what about the earth? please excuse the lame questions... this is my first ever MB, im new to this.

I have tried all the key positions using the master key... no luck. the handle is locked in the open position too.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The carpeted panel is a little tricky to get out, you should find a junction of the battery cables from the trunk, as to earth, any good bolt or unpainted contact should do.
I might also suggest finding the lock unlock pump under the rear passenger seat the yellow line is the lock unlock line presure to unlock vacuum to lock.
I dont understandhow the doors are unlocked and the trunk is locked, they share the same yellow line. I would go the charger into the cigarette lighter, its the easiest. you dont need much to get the unlock pump to run.
Are you aware that MB has roadside assistance for free which includes tire change fuel and a jump lifetime. 1800 for mercedes

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
The carpeted panel is a little tricky to get out, you should find a junction of the battery cables from the trunk, as to earth, any good bolt or unpainted contact should do.
I might also suggest finding the lock unlock pump under the rear passenger seat the yellow line is the lock unlock line presure to unlock vacuum to lock.
I dont understandhow the doors are unlocked and the trunk is locked, they share the same yellow line. I would go the charger into the cigarette lighter, its the easiest. you dont need much to get the unlock pump to run.
Are you aware that MB has roadside assistance for free which includes tire change fuel and a jump lifetime. 1800 for mercedes.
I dont recall exactly but is is stick the master key into the trunk lock turn it 90 degrees pull it out and push the trunk release button its either right or left

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Thanks a whole span for the advice. problem is now sorted, i went under the carpet and hey presto. Would you belive, the Benze service people seemed to have no idea about this... they probably just wanted to rip me off.

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
I think, if he's got a Euro spec W140, that the trunk latch is electrical. So you can't open the boot when the battery is flat. The button pushes in, but nothing happens.

As you describe, charger in the lighter with ignition in 'I' or on position, then hit the trunk release button.

·
Registered
Current 1992 - 500SEL, W124 - 1989 230E (sold)
1,387 Posts
I have euro spec, vehicle made for english market and it doesnt have such a thing, i can open trunk with or without battery.

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Hmmm, I can't do that. I'd guess what I observed above (electric trunk latch) is the behavior of a face-lifted model. I definitely can't get into the trunk of my W140 if the battery is flat, and yes I tried all the keys every which way possible to no avail. The only way was external 12V into the system.
The ironic thing was the battery went flat because the trunk was left ajar. When I came back to the car I shut the trunk, then went to the drivers door and hit the remote and nothing happened - dead battery. I cursed myself for awhile for shutting the trunk before I unlocked the car!

·
Registered
95 S320; 99 E3204M
112 Posts
I'm not quite understanding how a dead battery can prevent the trunk mechanism from functioning. I know the vacuum pump can trigger the release, but it is still a mechanical release.

I have a '95 S420 that I bought for parts and it has a dead battery. The trunk opens just fine. I'm wondering if you are trying to unlock the trunk with the valet key?

I don't know about model years other than '95k, but on mine (the 320 and 420); 1) Insert the key into the trunk 2) Unlock by rotating 90 degrees counter clockwise 3) Push in the trunk release.

Good Luck,

Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts