Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1998 SL500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I've been on the hunt for a good R129 since November last year and almost bought a 1997 SL320 in January. Thank God the seller backed out.

Today I picked up a 1998 SL500 with 16k miles (you read that right). It passed my MBZ mechanic's pre-purchase inspection with flying colors. Having driven it 70 miles already today, I'm psyched. It's a dream machine.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,759 Posts
It sounds like a really good car, hardly run in yet. I hope you get many happy hours driving your SL500 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1985 380 SL, 2001 SL 500, 2007 E350 Sport, 2008 T & C Ltd
931 Posts
Lucky man, RS. Welcome. Need pics and details how you came across it. Enjoy your ownership and the forums.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congrats, it sounds very nice. Be sure to post some pictures soon :)

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
Jump in that thing and buzz down the coast next month to join us at the Spring gathering in Irvine, May 16th. Then you can show off your lucky find in person!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome!

:thumbsup:

Now post pics!

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi guys! I've been on the hunt for a good R129 since November last year and almost bought a 1997 SL320 in January. Thank God the seller backed out.

Today I picked up a 1998 SL500 with 16k miles (you read that right). It passed my MBZ mechanic's pre-purchase inspection with flying colors. Having driven it 70 miles already today, I'm psyched. It's a dream machine.
rsjkml many many congrats on your new purchase.
You have a ton of wonderful miles in that car you got. And you will love every second you will be driving it :thumbsup:.

Cheers.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Congrats and welcome!!!! JUST in case you missed the message, PLEASE post some pictures as soon as you can PRY your BUTT out of the seat long enough!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!! Have FUN!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1993 300E, 1998 SL500
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks, here are some photos

Congrats and welcome!!!! JUST in case you missed the message, PLEASE post some pictures as soon as you can PRY your BUTT out of the seat long enough!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!! Have FUN!!!!!!!
Thanks for the messages, guys! And thanks for the invit to the May 16 event - I will try to make it, it's very tempting. :D

Attached are some pics.

I found the car by watching Craigslist over the last 4 months. In the process I checked out 4 other cars, and came close to pulling the trigger on the SL320 and on another SL500 with 64K miles. But I decided to wait and my patience paid off. I bought the car from its original owner in San Francisco Bay area. It's been a lifelong California car. I paid $16k for it, which I think is just a case of huge good luck. I jumped on the chance as soon as this one came on the market and tried my best to convey to the seller's rep. that I was serious (and I WAS serious - I carfax-researched more than fifty SL500's, spoke to maybe 10 sellers and physically checked out only 5).

There is another SL500 with EVEN LESS MILES available in this area, a triple-black '99 with 10K miles. That one is practically in a showroom-new condition and has never been driven in the rain. Single owner. But I felt the asking price was too high ($25k, now down to $21k last I checked). Plus I'm biased about the M119 engine over the M113.

Let me know if you want to see more pics. I will be happy to post some pics in better lighting conditions with a better camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
rsjkml I had a look at your car and it really looks in mint condition. The interior is Saffron-Java color and having owned a car with that interior I can tell you it's a real pain in the ass to keep it clean. The good news is that you can use a Mr Clean eraser wetted with water and gently rub the leather. In addition to the eraser you can get a 12 pack, but that's for you because it's going to take at least half a day for the seats only. As for the vinyl you can get a rug and a Mr Clean product and clean it quite easliy. Be prepared to have a nice nimber of rugs because they will get black in no time.
Another thing that is advised per American fellow members is to change the headlights from the US spec ones (pretty much useless at night) to the Euro specs ones (much better) or to Xenons (either a conversion kit or the stock xenon assebly that will set you back at least at a thousand bucks).
as for the rest, open the car, load Steppenwolf CD and play Born To Be Wild: you will feel in heaven ;).

Cheers.

·
Registered
1997 SL500
398 Posts
Another thing that is advised per American fellow members is to change the headlights from the US spec ones (pretty much useless at night) to the Euro specs ones (much better)
Cheers.
Where is the linky on how to do that?!?!?! THanks!!! :bowdown:

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Catterman there are a few threads around about the swap (I can't find them at the moment but from memory I know they are out there) that is pretty straightforward because as far as I can remember they are plug and play more or less.

Sorry not to be able to help better.

Cheers.

·
Registered
MB SL600, MB 380SE, Suzuki Grand Vitara, 38' Chris-Craft, Volvo V70XC, and my own two feet...
4,131 Posts
Thanks for the messages, guys! And thanks for the invit to the May 16 event - I will try to make it, it's very tempting. :D

Attached are some pics.

I found the car by watching Craigslist over the last 4 months. In the process I checked out 4 other cars, and came close to pulling the trigger on the SL320 and on another SL500 with 64K miles. But I decided to wait and my patience paid off. I bought the car from its original owner in San Francisco Bay area. It's been a lifelong California car. I paid $16k for it, which I think is just a case of huge good luck. I jumped on the chance as soon as this one came on the market and tried my best to convey to the seller's rep. that I was serious (and I WAS serious - I carfax-researched more than fifty SL500's, spoke to maybe 10 sellers and physically checked out only 5).

There is another SL500 with EVEN LESS MILES available in this area, a triple-black '99 with 10K miles. That one is practically in a showroom-new condition and has never been driven in the rain. Single owner. But I felt the asking price was too high ($25k, now down to $21k last I checked). Plus I'm biased about the M119 engine over the M113.

Let me know if you want to see more pics. I will be happy to post some pics in better lighting conditions with a better camera.
She's a beauty, congrats!

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,759 Posts
Very nice car.

I still like the contrast with the black door-handles as against the models with the same body colour handles.
Bring back the heavy chrome handles, they always looked so classy :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts