Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450 SL
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this Kiplingers article on msn money @ msn.com while drinking my morning coffee. Paragraphs 2 through 5 caught my attention.

5 ways to make your car last

Yes, we're going to tell you to baby your wheels. A little love and attention can keep your vehicle on the road for years to come -- and save you a bundle.

So how do you keep your car in the pink? Whether you're aiming for a couple more years or a couple hundred thousand miles, the advice is the same.

2. Use online forums

You want to learn about potential problems before they happen so that you can prevent them -- or fix them immediately. Jeff Cuje of Sag Harbor, N.Y., plans to be buried in his 1986 Mercedes-Benz SL, so he's taking pains to make it last. His best advice is to find an owners forum online and "get on the wavelength of what the problems are as your car gets older," he says.

3. Become friends with your mechanic

Finding a mechanic you can trust is key to keeping up with repairs you need.
But even then, don't say yes to every fix. Get a second opinion on anything major if you're unsure about the problem or the cost.

4. Don't ignore small problems

Cuje pays close attention not only to his vehicle's noises but also to its warning lights and even cosmetic things, like a piece of rubber trim that's loose. Ignoring a problem allows it to get worse, he says, and parts for aging vehicles get harder to find.

Amazon.com is a good place to look for parts. If you're handy, you may be able to do small repairs yourself. Reed spent $20 for new brake parts and installed them himself -- a repair that would have cost $350 at the dealership.

5. Give your car some love

Wash it, wax it and vacuum it. Treat leather surfaces with Armor All or a similar product, and lubricate plastic and rubber parts. Doing these things protects both the paint and the interior from premature aging.
Also consider having your car detailed, which typically includes steam-cleaning the carpet, shampooing the upholstery, buffing out scratches and sometimes even removing small dents. The cost is usually less than $300. The better your car looks, the more you'll want to take care of it.

This article was reported by Jessica L. Anderson for Kiplinger's Personal Finance Magazine.

Published Nov. 1, 2010

I was wondering if Jeff is one of us? If not we should track him down and invite him to join us.

Tom

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,510 Posts

·
One of the BW Old Guard/R129, W204 Moderator
1997 SL500- 40th Anniversary
7,166 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560SL 78k miles, 2010 GLK
63 Posts
Hi all,

I'm already one of you.:)...my SL is hydrocarbon-gulping? I thought it just sipped a little premium gas and emitted a nice purr at 110 mph. But thanks for the invite! The former car editor at Kiplingers is a yearly houseguest and friend and he asked the new editor to call me to discuss how to prolong the life of your "investment". It was just a basic online article....not all of the info came from me...if only we had the time to discuss the costs and real intricacies of owning one of these.....the article wasnt specific to classic cars or Mercedes so we didn't dive into all that......I'm one of your "quiter" members....your knowledge is far greater than mine-but thanks to all of you, I found my dream machine.

·
Registered
1986 560SL 78k miles, 2010 GLK
63 Posts
Small world and true...no one had to die....but just in case...I still want to be buried in my car as the article states.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts