Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SL500 Launch Ed.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing like this discussed in the "detailing" section so I thought I'd try here.
I have an '02 SL with only 26,000 miles and it's in really nice condition......EXCEPT
The Java leather seat on the driver's side has what I would describe as discoloration due to body oils.......almost looks like a nicotene stain on
the front bottom cushion and both side bolsters. Tried various leather cleaners and nothing seems to touch it. The rest of the leather and the passenger seat is basically like new. Should I give up and have the professionals retouch the color, replace the leather ($$$$) or ????
Any idea would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Les

·
Registered
1992 Sweet 500 SL
266 Posts
Seat Damage

Phil Here. I will start of by saying even trying to replace only one panel on you leather seat would be price prohibited, The labor is not the problem but purchasing one skin of leather is!

Now if only one panel of you seat is crappy looking, I would engage a 'Leather/Vinyl" repair person to come out and repair or color that one bad panel.......... Under 100 bucks.

I have been replacing worn panels on my leather seats using MB tex, I am very satisfied with the durability of this product. Our seat side bolsters are always wearing out so I apply MB tex to both seats.
I have posted the results of my seat restoration project on this forum, please look it up. Good Luck

1992 Sweet 500 SL Phil Justice

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
A detail shop will give you the best opinion if they can fix it with dyes, or if you need new leather...

-changing one leather panel is not a good idea for 2 reasons:

-10 years leather is worn, shiny, and discolored, so the new patch will stick out like a sore thumb.

-the whole seat cusion needs to come out to replace one panel, you might as well replace it as a whole, or add more time, and do all 4 pieces in both seats... you get the smell, feel and look of a brand new car, for 600 bucks... and about half a day worth of work...

·
Registered
1998 Pano SL500
947 Posts
use soft-scrub liquid soap (from the grocery store).... it has an abasive and many have found that it takes away discolor from body oil in leather seats .... I used it on my mothers Avalon and it worked great ..... don't scrub too hard and check progress often .... I heard of this in another car forum and it worked for me ...... hope it helps

Fast960

·
Registered
1998 silver 500sl
47 Posts
Contact Leatherique. I have old BMW and they were able to match color but carry the best cleaners ,sealers and conditioners I have ever used

·
Registered
2003 SL500 Launch Ed.
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Discoloration on my 2002 SL leather seats

Just a quick update. When Fast960 suggested using Soft Scrub, I have to admit I thought he was optimistic to say the least as I had tried quite a few "made to solve this issue" products. In less than 60 seconds, the stains were on my white towel and off my seats. Could not believe it. Went over the seats with a protection cream and ....Voila......back to normal.

Try it.....who'd thunk.......

Thanks again Fast960.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts